Trouble downloading feature from AGOL

Jump to solution
07-08-2015 10:44 AM
AlexBullen1
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to download a dataset from our AGOL account but the regular "download" button is absent.

In My Content its a feature layer. Click on it, and its a feature collection. View Item Details, and there's no download button. Make a new AGOL map with the feature, still no download button. I've done this before, but am somehow missing the specific workflow. Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Alex,

A feature collection can be published to a feature service at any time (with an organizational account), by going to the details page and selecting publish.

When you create geographic data from a csv with under 1000 records directly in the Map Viewer, it automatically creates a feature collection. ​To create a feature service when publishing directly from a CSV file, you will need to add the csv file to your content and follow the prompts to publish a feature service.

A feature collection and a feature service have very similar functionality, depending on how you are going to use your data. For small datasets (less than 100 records) that can only be edited by the owner of the data, a feature collection can be very effective and easy to create. If you are looking to be able to have multiple editors and download/export the data in various formats, than a feature service will have the correct functionality.

Thanks,

Kelly

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

You can click on "Edit" on the details page and enable exporting to other formats (near the bottom).

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Alex,

What type of a format are you trying to download your dataset in?

With Hosted Feature Services, there is an export option where you can pick the type of output data that you are looking for. Use hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

There are also other data types, csv, pdf, layer packages that have a download option. Item details—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

To download a feature collection in a usable format, I would suggest publishing it as a hosted feature service and exporting the data or using the extract data tool in perform analysis Extract Data—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS. You will require an organization account in order to perform the tasks mentioned above.

Cheers,

Kelly

AlexBullen1

The layer has less than 1000 features, so I was able to just open it in ArcMap.

All those help pages are nice but none of their solutions fit this feature. I'm the admin and owner of the data, and Item Details doesn't have the options outlined above like you'd expect. Got the data I need but I'm sure I'll run into this again. The feature was created in AGOL by importing & geocoding a spreadsheet of addresses; the options to export simply aren't there like they are on features I've published from ArcMap.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Alex,

The reason that this data type doesn't have the options above is because it is a feature collection. Feature collections are created without creating a hosted feature service, which results in it not having the same exporting options as mentioned above.

It looks like you found another workaround to export the data, by opening a webmap containing the data in ArcMap and exporting it from there.

If this is a feature that you would like to suggest be implemented in the future, I would recommend logging and idea on the ideas site at http://ideas.arcgis.com. This is a great forum to discuss future enhancements to the software.

-Kelly

AlexBullen1

Can a "feature collection" be changed to a "feature service"? I don't recall having an option when I first imported the spreadsheet into AGOL. Should I have done something differently to create a "feature service" in the first place?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Alex,

A feature collection can be published to a feature service at any time (with an organizational account), by going to the details page and selecting publish.

When you create geographic data from a csv with under 1000 records directly in the Map Viewer, it automatically creates a feature collection. ​To create a feature service when publishing directly from a CSV file, you will need to add the csv file to your content and follow the prompts to publish a feature service.

A feature collection and a feature service have very similar functionality, depending on how you are going to use your data. For small datasets (less than 100 records) that can only be edited by the owner of the data, a feature collection can be very effective and easy to create. If you are looking to be able to have multiple editors and download/export the data in various formats, than a feature service will have the correct functionality.

Thanks,

Kelly

AlexBullen1

Well thank goodness for this forum and people like you! This worked for enabling the download. Upload the data, save the layer, publish the layer... all separate steps.

0 Kudos