World files for j2c format?

07-07-2015 03:25 AM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi All

We have some j2c raster files.

As far as I understand they are jpeg2000 files – they are visible in ArcMap.

We try to understand if we can use world file with them and what will be its name.

The export world file GP tool fail on these files.

Any Idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

JPEG 2000 world files usually end in .j2w.  What is the error message you are getting when you try to export the world file out?  Also JPEG 2000's can store their spatial information in their header, not necessarily in a world file.

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

The error in 99999

Translating the file into jp2 file (using ArcMap) create a file that the GP tool can use (but then we have to translate all our files).

Is the ext j2c show somekind of different jpeg2000 file?

Thanks

Mody

0 Kudos
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

mody,

Normally, ArcMap will produce one *.jp2 with two more files (*.jp2.aux, *.jp2.ovr).

From your description, it is clear that your ArcMap does produce improperly. So, what is the release of ArcMap? If possible, nice to upgrade with latest SP or releases...

+++++++++++++

In fact, on JPEG2000 standard (JPEG - JPEG 2000 ), other vendors may not produce any ext files like (*.jp2.ovr, *.jp2.aux), which fully reply on the implementation of the vendor. For example, ERDAS Imagine has two JP2 implementations: one can produce *.jp2.aux; and other does not.

0 Kudos
JoeBryant2
Occasional Contributor II

Sorry for resurrecting the dead here, Ian.

I am exporting JPEG 2000 files and need to also generate a separate world file (the header info cannot be read by Pathfinder Office). In order for Trimble's Pathfinder Office to transfer a background image to a mobile unit running TerraSync, it needs a world file by the same name with the .j2w extension in the same folder.

I tried to use the "Export Raster World File" tool in 10.3.1, but when I drag the .jp2 file to the tool's input it says it is invalid.

I also tried to open the .aux file, save as tab delimited text, and changed the extension to .j2w, but Pathfinder did not recognize it. I could be screwing this process up as it was a wild guess without any guidance.

I also found a world file converter script, but it was designed for 9.1 and I can't figure out how to add it to my extensions in 10.3.1.

Lots of searching around with no solution yet.

0 Kudos