AnsweredAssumed Answered

How To: Modify Relationships of Hosted Services

Question asked by RTreecare on Jun 30, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 30, 2015 by RTreecare

Through the admin REST API, I've had some success creating 1:M relationships for existing hosted feature services. Why not just overwrite the service you ask? There is a bug during sd file creation in ArcMap, making republishing not an option.

I start out by updating the layer definition for the layer with the origin field via - https://services.arcgis.com/<Organization ID>/arcgis/admin/services/<ServiceName>.FeatureServer/<layer ID>/addToDefinition In this case, the layer id is 0 and the origin field will be GlobalID. Here is what I add to the definition:

{
  "relationships" : [
    {
      "id" : 0, 
      "name" : "Layer1sInLayer0", 
      "relatedTableId" : 1, 
      "cardinality" : "esriRelCardinalityOneToMany", 
      "role" : "esriRelRoleOrigin", 
      "keyField" : "GlobalID", 
      "composite" : false
    }
  ]
}

The second layer has an id of 1 and the destination is a GUID field named "RelatedGUID"

This is what I add to the layer definition:

{
  "relationships" : [
    {
      "id" : 0, 
      "name" : "Layer1sInLayer0", 
      "relatedTableId" : 0, 
      "cardinality" : "esriRelCardinalityOneToMany", 
      "role" : "esriRelRoleDestination", 
      "keyField" : "RelatedGUID", 
      "composite" : false
    }
  ]
}

After running these two, the relationship appears valid in the ArcGIS online map viewer and Collector for ArcGIS.

Some things I've noticed:

• Must be done on both layers separately. I Could not add both layer parts to the definition of the entire feature service.
  • Sometimes deleting relationships works. Other times I am unable to delete from the definition with a message saying a specific contraint doesn't exist. I do not see any sql server constraints visible from the REST service directory.
  • It doesn't seem as though relationship names or id's need to match for both layers.
  • Duplicate id numbers can be added to a layer and WILL BREAK IT!
  • I've only tested GlobalID to GUID but assume Integer to Integer would work.
  • I have not tested setting composite to true
  • I have not tested many to many
  • I have not had luck manipulating relationships with updateDefinition

My question for anyone reading: Is there another way to add/modify/delete relationships to existing services? I highly doubt this is supported and there isn't any REST API documentation.

Hopefully AGOL admins find this helpful. Relationships can be so powerful in a mapping application. It's too bad that we have to go to such extremes to apply them to hosted services when you can simply right-click create relationship class on the data behind ArcGIS Server services. Maybe enough people will break their services and we'll get a tool to manipulate hosted relationships!

Outcomes