AnsweredAssumed Answered

Image Service not displaying, Do I need to make them all WGS 1984?

Question asked by huffmanp on Jun 30, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 16, 2016 by alexander.brown.phl

I finally have Server 10.3.1 running on my new hardware with Desktop 10.3.1, and trying out a few things. I have been running Server 9.3.1, so I have a lot to figure out.  The SampleWorldCities map service is listed in Catalog, and draws as expected in ArcMap.   Found a big sid image that was handy and thought I would try making a cached image service.  I followed the tutorial instructions Tutorial: Creating a cached image service—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server   , chose ArcGIS Online / Bing Maps / Google Maps.for the tiling scheme even though the image is UTM Zone 10N.  Thought I could do that because it wasn't a mosaic, as described in the "Designing an image service".  Adjusted caching so Estimated cache size was less than 50 MB.  Set Tile format to jpeg.  Analyzed,  got no errors but warnings "Source not registered, will be copied to server" and "Your service will use WGS 1984" , then published.  The new image service appears in listed Catalog, the thumbnail draws, but it will not preview in Catalog or draw in ArcMap.  Properties say it is WGS 84.

I grabbed another UTM Z10N sid and tried again, this time trying a suggested tiling scheme,  5 levels, looked at the warning about WGS 84 in more detail, the help said one solution was to do nothing, data will still overlay properly.  Published, but same as my first attempt,  I have a thumbnail, but no Preview or draw in ArcMap.

What am I missing? Am I going to have to reproject all my image data to WGS 84 to make them work for Image services in 10.3.1?

Outcomes