"Nested" Relationships in AGOL

06-19-2015 10:50 AM
LisaHuggins
New Contributor III

I have a feature class, "patchlocation".  This FC is related to table "Rack" 1:M.  The table "Rack" is then related to a table "Patchpanel" 1:M.  In ArcMap, I can identify a "patchlocation" on the map and then look at related racks and from each rack, related patchpanels.  I published map to service but when I identify in AGOL, I only get related racks.  Is this type of "nested" relationship supported in AGOL?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

Lisa,

I dealt with this same issue a few years ago because I wanted to create the Macroinvertebrate Water Monitoring Map. My dataset seems similar. I had sites (FC) with multiple visits per site (1:M FC > table) with multiple macros collected at each site visit (1:M table > table).

AGOL only allows you to see one level of relationships. However, you can use the JavaScript API to customize returns of 'deeper' relationships as we did in our map from above. I worked with a developer, as I am still early in my JavaScript programming skills, so I can't offer much more than this!

I have not seen a widget yet to replicate what happens when you use the identify tool in ArcMap where you get to see the whole relationship tree. The ability to add related values to the popup is a good step, but certainly does not meet the complete need in your case.

James

LisaHuggins
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response!  Always nice to know that someone is listening.  And while Im sorry there is not currently an out of the box solution, it's good to know there is a solution out there we can work towards.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

Very nice site

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Hey Lisa,

Nested relationships are planned to be supported in ArcGIS Online later this year.

Cheers

Russ

LisaHuggins
New Contributor III

Woohoo! That's nice to hear.  We'll be waiting.  Thanks

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III

Its later in the year.. still no nested relationships Feature >> 1:M >> Table   ----   Table >> 1:M >> Table.

Is there a better timeline as to when this will be released?

0 Kudos
MaximeDemers

We are in 2019, does nested relationships in AGOL webb app is enabled or not?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes you could view nested relationships in the Map Viewer. Using the Popup Show Related Records > Using the table view to see the next level of related records. You can also use WAB popup to navigate through nested relationships.

0 Kudos
MaximeDemers

Thank you for your answer.

Is it normal that if I add a MapService hosted on an ArcGIS Server into the AGOL webmap viewer (https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html) I just see the first level of relationships in the table view? Nested relationships are displayed as empty (0).

0 Kudos