Conversion between ITRF 2005 and WGS84 Coordinate Systems

06-17-2015 01:41 AM
ALIHash1
New Contributor II

Dear all,

I am trying to convert a shapfile with Geographic Coordinate System ITRF 2005 into WGS84 UTM 35S. I went through the following steps.

1. Open blank Arcmap

2. Set data frame to ITRF 2005

3. Added the XY Excel Coordinates to the map and then exported the events layer as ITRF 2005.

4. With the new ITRF 2005 Points shapefile, i use the project tool in data management toolbox to convert it from ITRF 2005 to WGS84 UTM Zone 35. I get the following error.

invalid extent for output coordinate system

Failed to execute (Project).

I also tried adding the ITRF 2005 Point Shapefile to a new data-frame that i set to WSG84 UTM Zone 35, and tried to export it to the coordinates of the data frame but still did not work.

Any idea how i can convert the shapefile from Geographic ITRF 2005 to WGS84 UTM Zone 35 Projection.

Please find attached the Excel table with my XY Point data.

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ali,

The default units of GCS ITRF 2005 is Deg. Decimal. The values in your table is not in Deg. Decimal. They seem to be in linear units.

Make sure to define the correct Projected Coordinate System to while creating points from XY table.

Think Location
0 Kudos
ALIHash1
New Contributor II

Thank you for your response Jayanta and Neil. The data is actually a CAD file which didn't have XY Coordinates just elevation field was present. The points showed up when i added the CAD layer to Arcmap. I went to add XY coordinates in arc toolbox to add the x y  coordinates to that shapefile which displayed in linear units. Initially i created two columns both X and Y with double. Then when i clicked calculate geometry it says decimal degrees but shows in linear units , any ideas how i can go about do this, as in the steps as i cannot get the transformation to work even when i project it i get errors saying different extent and input values and i use the transformation of

The CAD File had a points layer with only elevation present and other CAD fields. There were no XY Fields present. when i exported the layer to a shapefile and added it to a new arcmap document is showed up. Any ideas on the steps as the surveyor said the values were collected in ITRF 2005.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ali,

Seems to be a projection issue.

In what format is the CAD file (DWG, DGN)? Any additional file present (.WLD/.PRJ) with the CAD file?

Open a Blank Map. Try opening a basemap with correct projected coordinate system first to the data frame. Add your data. Is it located in the correct area? If not, maybe you would like to georeference the data.

Think Location
0 Kudos
ALIHash1
New Contributor II

The file is a single DWG with points and line layers. All my other GIS Data for the study area are in WGS84 UTM Zone 35S. They all line up when added to arcmap together with the other GIS Layers, but when i try to projected and transform the DWG file points layer it doesn't line up even after i try export as the data frame WGS84 UTM Zone 35S.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ali,

You need to georeference it. I don't see any other alternative. The DWG file doesn't possess any spatial reference.

Convert it to feature class. Define WGS84 UTM Zone 35S as its spatial reference from ArcCatalog. Bring them to ArcMap with any referenced data already present (which can be used for geometric correction of the new feature classes).

Selecting both the point and line features, use Editor (move, scale and rotate) to correct your data.

Think Location
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

If you simply define the projection of the CAD file correctly, using the CAD properties page in Catalog. Define as your UTM zone. Does it not line up correctly then?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

The coordinates in your table do not look like GCS (geographic) coordinates, which should be in the range XLong -180 to + 180, YLat -90 to +90.

They are projected coordinates and are possibly already in UTM. You would need to confirm that with the data provider. You will also need the UTM zone (possibly also 35).

If that is the case, you may not need to re-project at all, ITRF2005 is functionally equivalent to the WGS84 datum. (A geodesist might not agree with me). So, all you would need to do is define the projection correctly.

0 Kudos