Does MakeLasDatasetLayer inherit an enabled surface constraint from the Las Dataset?

Jump to solution
06-17-2015 10:02 AM
TedRakel
New Contributor III

I have a Las Dataset with a surface constraint on it.  The surface constraint is present and enabled on the las dataset

lasdataset_surface_constaint.PNG

From this las dataset, I have created a layer which represents only the ground points.  I wrote a python script to do this.  I used the tool arcpy.management.MakeLasDatasetLayer followed by arcpy.SaveToLayerFile_management.  However, I notice in arc map when examing the new layer which represents ground points that the suface constraint is present but not enabled.

lasdataset_layer_surface_constaint.PNG

I have to open the properties of the layer which represents only ground points and enable the surface constraint from within arc map.  Is there a way to do this programmatically?  I have hundreds of these to do because my client's lidar data is organized into many folder representing many flights over many years.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When you execute arcpy.management.MakeLasDatasetLayer, do you specify the surface_constraints or do you leave this as it is? According to the help:

The name of the surface constraint features that will be enabled in the layer. All constraints are enabled by default.

... the constraints (if specified) are enabled by default.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When you execute arcpy.management.MakeLasDatasetLayer, do you specify the surface_constraints or do you leave this as it is? According to the help:

The name of the surface constraint features that will be enabled in the layer. All constraints are enabled by default.

... the constraints (if specified) are enabled by default.

0 Kudos
TedRakel
New Contributor III

Now that I have a script to perform this, the problem seems to have gone away.   I can't reliably reproduce this.  I forgot to mention that I'm on arc gis 10.2.1.

0 Kudos