How to merge multiple featureclasses and overlapped features using ArcGIS 10.2

Jump to solution
06-16-2015 07:31 AM
X_K_YANG
New Contributor II

Dear folks,

Anybody know merge multiple featureclasses and overlapped features using ArcGIS 10.2? I do know ArcGIS Desktop has a Merge tool can merge multiple featureclasses into a new featureclass. However, in my case, I wanna the overlapped fetures within the new merged featureclass are also merged.

For example, I have two waterbody featureclasses delineated from remote sensing images.

The first part of Lake Michigan is in one image, the other part of the lake is in another image.

After merging the two featureclass, obviouly, the two parts of the Lake Michigan should be merged too, right?

anybody know merging the two featureclass, how to merge the overlapped waterbody features?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

If you dissolve without selecting an attribute, it dissolves based on being contiguous, so if they features touch they should dissolve into a single feature.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried dissolving the resulting dataset?

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

X_K_YANG
New Contributor II

Hi, thanks for your response.

However, no. You know dissolving operation is based on attributes. As stated above, the waterbody features were delineated in remote sensing images, they dont have any specific attributes such as, feature name etc. Thus, I could not employ dissolving tool to do this job.

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

If you dissolve without selecting an attribute, it dissolves based on being contiguous, so if they features touch they should dissolve into a single feature.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

If you just want to merge a few features, you can use merge in the editor toolbar menu. Begin editing your feature class, select the features to be merged, and select merge from the editor toolbar dropdown menu. You can then pick which feature you want other features merged into. In your case it might not matter, but I usually pick the largest features, or the one that has attribute values you want to keep.

X_K_YANG
New Contributor II

Yes, just gave a try, dissolving operation worked like a charm.