Can an external hard drive work integrally with my mac on arcGIS?

Jump to solution
06-13-2015 06:27 AM
AdamAloni
New Contributor

My new (mid 2014) macbook pro has 8 GB of RAM and 120 GB of storage. I've installed windows through bootcamp (storage is divided 100 GB for mac HD and 20 GB for bootcamp), and wand to install arcGIS now. However, I was told that my memory is not enough for working with heavy geodata. In order to solve this I thought about using an external solid-state drive with 256 GB for increasing storage space. Is this a good solution? would it work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the minimum specifications for running arcmap in a windows environment are ridiculously low...2 Gb of ram (really!?) ...4 maybe...8 comfortable, 16 good 32 no problems. and that is memory after everything else has used what it needs.  Storage space isn't the issue, you can get X Tb external drives for next to nothing...what you don't want to do is get into a situation where processing is being swapped out to disk in order to complete.

Many will recommend Mac environments that work for them but you have to weigh the cost of upgrading a system versus just buying a Windows-based system for desktop work.  For field work, the camp is divided and you have to weigh the need to do analysis in the field (not just simple mapping) versus the cost of doing so.  So check the online help or this site using

ArcMap System Requirements ​the highlighted link is for 10.3 but they haven't changed significantly

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the minimum specifications for running arcmap in a windows environment are ridiculously low...2 Gb of ram (really!?) ...4 maybe...8 comfortable, 16 good 32 no problems. and that is memory after everything else has used what it needs.  Storage space isn't the issue, you can get X Tb external drives for next to nothing...what you don't want to do is get into a situation where processing is being swapped out to disk in order to complete.

Many will recommend Mac environments that work for them but you have to weigh the cost of upgrading a system versus just buying a Windows-based system for desktop work.  For field work, the camp is divided and you have to weigh the need to do analysis in the field (not just simple mapping) versus the cost of doing so.  So check the online help or this site using

ArcMap System Requirements ​the highlighted link is for 10.3 but they haven't changed significantly

AdamAloni
New Contributor

Thank a lot, Dan!

0 Kudos