Difference between a geodata service and a map service (basic edition)

Jump to solution
06-12-2015 04:40 PM
FionaRenton
New Contributor III

I'm confused by the marketing literature and technical documents, which seem to conflict and are very general.

We purchased ArcGIS Server basic under the impression that we could publish map services as in the functionality matrix:

http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-server-functionality-matrix.pdf

At least in 10.2.2 it looks like we can publish geodata services which I don't think are the same as map services.We do not want to edit data, just publish simple feature services.

I have not managed to successfully publish (yet).I have an open incident with tech support.

Does anyone else publish map services with the basic edition of ArcGIS Server?

Thanks,

Fiona

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

According to the functionality matrix, you should be able to publish a feature service.  In order to publish a feature service, the data must reside in an enterprise geodatabase (i.e. SQL Server Express).  Take a look at the following link on how to publish a feature service:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Fiona,

I had faced this issue a couple of years back. From what I learnt, you can not publish a Map Service with Server basic License. You need to have at least a Server Standard license.

Think Location
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

According to the functionality matrix, you should be able to publish a feature service.  In order to publish a feature service, the data must reside in an enterprise geodatabase (i.e. SQL Server Express).  Take a look at the following link on how to publish a feature service:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Fiona,

Were you able to view the services that you published as feature services?

Think Location
0 Kudos
FionaRenton
New Contributor III

I have successfully created a geodata service for replication using a File geodatabase, although I had to call ESRI to help with file permission issues.

I'm told that I can create a feature service from an SDE connection and publish directly form ArcMap.

(Once our DBA changes the required permissions on our database we'll have SDE up.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos