AnsweredAssumed Answered

Understanding Logging

Question asked by bryanboutz on Jun 11, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 26, 2015 by MZhao-esristaff

I'm struggling through learning GeoEvent Processor both configuration of out-of-the-box components as well as developing custom components.  I'm finding my biggest struggle is not knowing what is actually happening when stuff doesn't work.  For example, I pass a buffer using a custom transport to the text adaptor and nothing happens.  I can see through the debugger and my own custom logger debug calls that byteListener.receive(byteBuffer, channelId); was called, but then nothing happens after that with the stream. I imagine I'm not meeting some requirement of the data, but I'm pulling out what little hair I have left because I have no way to know why it just didn't do anything.

In logs I can't see the text adaptor component to turn up logging.  Earlier I tried just using the file transport and while I could make it work, I couldn't find any way to get useful information from the logs such as what files were processed, etc.  That seems like really useful log information if a person was tracing back a problem, so I assume I'm just not doing something correctly.

My question is, are there any tricks to using the logging system to troubleshoot or track inputs?

Outcomes