Is there a problem with ArcGIS Pro snapping environment?

Jump to solution
06-09-2015 08:38 AM
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to take an advantage of the 64-bit environment and speedier screen refreshing for someediting we do.

Although I personally don't find the ribbon interface very intuitive and "Pro" is basically unusable for serious cartography, ArcGIS Pro editing environment seems quite nice. Except I found a problem....

When I set my snapping to only Intersection and Vertex I am unable to SPLIT my polylines at intersections and vertices. Instead, in most situations, the line is split somewhere near the intersection or vertex but not exactly at intersection/vertex. This is a pretty major issue for me personally but perhaps I am missing something. The problem occurs when snapping options are set to either pixels or units. I tested it on 3 different machines, using different spatial references, and in both ArcGIS Pro 10.0.0 and 10.0.2.

I expect the line to be spit exactly where it snaps at vertices or intersections but I am simply not able to.

Screen captures showing results of line split operation when snapped to vertices and intersection attached.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, I probably should have said Pro 1.1 Final.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Your ahead of me on trying to edit in Pro, and I'm assuming you have seen Enable snapping—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Professionals already.  Just taking a stab and thinking about issues like this in Desktop, I wonder if there is a tolerance setting controlling the minimum distance between vertices.  In a quick search I didn't find this, but I'm guessing if the tolerance is too high,   Not an answer, but something to maybe rule out. if you can figure out where to check.

JakubSisak

I actually took the 2 day Introduction to ArcGIS Pro in classroom course and the instructor was not able solve this.  I am a long time ArcGIS user so I am very familiar with snapping options and preferences including the classic version 8,9 environments. Pro is a completely new animal built from ground up to eventually replace the legacy software we know and sometimes love (sometimes hate).  It feels and behaves different.  My immediate assumption was the same - snapping options, tolerances, etc. Nope.  So far, I can only confirm this happens when snapping is set to vertex and or intersection and using the split line tool.  Have not tried other tools since this is a major obstacle for me.  It cannot be tolerance because the tool clearly snaps to the correct snapping point and reports (snapped to this or that) but when the split happens, it splits the line

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I took the class too, just to see if it would help me get motivated more to use it in my production environment, but since I'm also a a long time user I tend to fall back on my ingrained knowledge from all the other flavors.   I did find in initial tests that my python scripts ran faster in the 64-bit environment, but miss the addin option.  Anyway, way off topic.  Sorry, I can't be of any help, but will follow the thread in case someone else solves it.  good-luck!

JakubSisak

Overall, I am sad to report I do not like Pro very much. I will go as far as to say that hate the ribbon interface. The whole thing still fells like a beta. It is also essential that I can seamlessly transition my Addins to some kind of development environment with comparable functionality ; I now I write and maintain all in Visual Studio Express .Net and ArcObjects. Pro is just not ready for production IMHO. I feel i wasted my time and money on this training. ESRI should not be offering this course until the software is production ready.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Looks like a bug. Something similar came up in beta with specific data. That was fixed and I haven't seen it since. You may find it works if you zoom in closer to the intersection but also please contact support.

0 Kudos
JakubSisak

@Sean - it doesn't matter what zoom level. It's nearly impossible to correctly split the line as i described.   Unfortunately, there is no easy way of reporting bugs. There used be an online form but I believe the only way is to call in now.  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

ok thanks, It looks like something new. For what its worth I cant reproduce it here, on a 1.1 build with my data.

If you're in 1.1 beta, you could try it there.

If the data is small, post it here and I'll take a look.

I believe the web form is still available at Esri Support.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jakub,

We investigated the issue a bit more and found a problem with the split tool and snapping. This is now fixed in Pro 1.1

Thanks for the feedback.

JakubSisak

Thanks Sean!  This is good news indeed. I will be able to start using Pro for editing.