AnsweredAssumed Answered

Arcpy: can't access lyr.symbology (but all other attributes fine)

Question asked by DanOln on Jun 9, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 by DanOln

I've just been attempting my first map automation with arcpy (relatively new to Python but a Java coder). I'm working on an open document that's got a layer with a graduated colour symbology already defined, trying to access it to make a change before outputting.

The problem: in arcpy, I have access to, as far as I can tell, all the Layer object's attributes/methods - apart from symbology and symbologyType. Brightness through to workspacePath are all there, Symbology isn't. It's also not listed in lyr.supports(). I am able to run "lyr.definitionQuery =" fine, but "if lyr.symbologyType == "GRADUATED_COLORS":..." gives me "Layer object has no attribute 'symbologyType'." Same for Symbology.

I am using Arc/Arcpy on a remote server that's hot on security. That's only thing I can think of that might be affecting object access. Or it could be something very obvious I'm missing, given I'm new to it - but shouldn't all Layer objects give me access to testing for SymbologyType, at least? And if it's not working, why are all other atttributes/methods there? Confused!

Any thoughts on anything obvious I'm missing? I'm hoping it's something simple and stupid... Thank you.

Outcomes