Custom brochure printing Python

Jump to solution
06-05-2015 07:03 PM
AicamLaacouri
New Contributor III

Hi everyone- I have an idea and I am just starting to learn Python so I would like to know if my idea can be executed using Python... So I have a polygon shapefile with 1000 polygons. Each polygon is a field/farm, the attribute table has the name of the owner and his/her address. I also happen to have a raster image that cover the same geography (satellite image). I want to print a brochure/newsletter to send it to these clients. In the front page of the brochure I will have texts and the address of the client (for postage). In the back, I want to print the clipped raster using the polygon for each field (each client has one corresponding polygon) as the clipping extent. Can I make a Python script that will my client specific brochures, so that the front of the brochure has the name and address of the client, and the back of the brochure has an image of the field (from the satellite raster image).  I want to spend time and learn about this idea but I thought to ask first if such a task is possible using python/arcmap. Thanks. Esam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Great! It's always best to get the exact specs form the printer. Happy designing to you! Do you mind marking your question as answered, if that is the case. Thank you!

View solution in original post

26 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Yes,  all possible. Look up data driven pages, page definitions, and dynamic text.

AicamLaacouri
New Contributor III

Hi Darren

Do you know if DDP would work on two data frames for the same layout simultaneously?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AicamLaacouri
New Contributor III

Thanks Darren! does the grid index need to have polygons of the same size? Because the polygon parcel data I have contains parcels of variable sizes..

Thanks

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

No, your grid can vary in size. In fact, the index layer is often not a grid at all, rather a feature class' individual polygons. The data driven pages can zoom to the appropriate scale based on the extent of the index feature.

AicamLaacouri
New Contributor III

Thanks again! Do I need to explode the parcel polygon shapefle? Right now all the parcels are contained in one shapefile..

many thanks

Aicam

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Yes, explode. Data driven pages make one page per index feature.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

It's fine to have the parcels in one shapefiles, in fact data driven pages will be based on one shapefile. Just make sure that the parcels for each client are one feature. If a client has several parcels, you may actually want to dissolve on client name.

AicamLaacouri
New Contributor III

Thanks! Do I need to have two data frames in order to print in both sides of the brochure? Would a template be needed in order to specify the dynamic text location (the dynamic text will be the mailing address in this case).

Thanks

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

As an ex graphic designer myself, I think what I would do in this case is have a page size of your entire unfolded brochure. Use guides, which can be pulled out from the page rulers, to lay out the two sides of the brochure. On the front side, you can have the text boxes, one of which will include the dynamic text for the label address. On the back side will be your data frame which will include the parcel shapefile used to drive the pages, and any other layers you need. You can also specify a page title field, perhaps client name, which can be used to name the exported pages.