javascript api 2.2 support

Jump to solution
06-05-2015 06:57 AM
mapFansLi
New Contributor II

Hi,

I saw a document on the web indicates the javascript api product cycle.

it indicates version v2.x retired June 1 2014. Has anyone seen this and understand what it mean? Does it mean this version is not supported and not upgrade any more and the script will still be available online for application point to it? Because I still have an app running on it. I try to understand do I need to migration to v3.x and what's the timeframe/urgency.

http://downloads.esri.com/support/product%20life%20cycle/online_gis/ArcGISWebMappingAPIs_PLC.pdf

Thanks

KL

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Are you still able to access 2.2 over Esri's CDN - I tried http://js.arcgis.com/2.2/init.js and got a blank page, but I'm not sure if that's the right address. If Esri ended support, they probably aren't even hosting the API, so you'd have to use your own CDN and download from Esri... you could still use it, but you'd be on your own.

Interestingly, though, unless I'm reading the doc incorrectly, there's some misinformation, because it states that API v3.x ended general availability in May of 2014!

I would upgrade! Here's some info on that:

Migrating to 3.0 | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

I typically try to upgrade every release to minimize breaking changes. The longer you wait, the more difficult your life will be. You would need to account for breaking changes from minor version to minor version. I've had cases in the past with other products where, to upgrade, it would be easier to rewrite the application!

I am using 3.12 right now, though, as Esri has a bug that needs to be fixed before I can upgrade. Esri will only consider it a breaking change if you need something in the latest version but can't use it due to a bug with the Esri code.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Are you still able to access 2.2 over Esri's CDN - I tried http://js.arcgis.com/2.2/init.js and got a blank page, but I'm not sure if that's the right address. If Esri ended support, they probably aren't even hosting the API, so you'd have to use your own CDN and download from Esri... you could still use it, but you'd be on your own.

Interestingly, though, unless I'm reading the doc incorrectly, there's some misinformation, because it states that API v3.x ended general availability in May of 2014!

I would upgrade! Here's some info on that:

Migrating to 3.0 | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

I typically try to upgrade every release to minimize breaking changes. The longer you wait, the more difficult your life will be. You would need to account for breaking changes from minor version to minor version. I've had cases in the past with other products where, to upgrade, it would be easier to rewrite the application!

I am using 3.12 right now, though, as Esri has a bug that needs to be fixed before I can upgrade. Esri will only consider it a breaking change if you need something in the latest version but can't use it due to a bug with the Esri code.

0 Kudos
mapFansLi
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick response. The code is referring to below in the script tag to point to 2.2.

http://serverapi.arcgisonline.com/jsapi/arcgis/?v=2.2

Do you know if the ArcGIS javascript script API version has any dependency on which version ArcGIS is on. I am trying to see the minimum javascript api version that will go with arcgis10.3.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

I did some digging and came across this:

Is ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.7  compatible with ArcGIS server 10.0 ?

I couldn't find any official documents, anywhere. You'd think this would be useful info, but it's probably not required as per the Esri staff:

In general, any version of the Javascript API will work with any ArcGIS Server 9.3 or later. 

Though certain functionality requires a newer server version, most things will work just fine.

I found a doc for Flex - go figure:

ArcGIS Flex API System Requirements | ArcGIS for Developers

So it certainly seems probably there could be issues, but you wont know until you try!

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE:

It looks like it's in the API, where appropriate:

Legend | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

If the layer is an ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer or ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer created using ArcGIS Server 10.0 SP1 or higher the legend is generated using the REST Map Service legend resource: http://mapservice-url/legend.

If the layers are version 10 or lower the legend is created using the ArcGIS.com legend service. In order to use the ArcGIS.com legend service your map service needs to be publicly accessible and your application must be able to access ArcGIS.com.

So, if you have issues, or need info, look it up in the API and see if there's any notes on version-specific functionality.

0 Kudos
mapFansLi
New Contributor II

Chris,

Thanks for putting the extra effort to research for this. Agree, you won't know until try. At least based on them most function will work fine. that's what I hope for.

0 Kudos