Detect Feature Changes for Polygons and Points

Jump to solution
05-28-2015 04:09 AM
AnnaMuñoz
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

as far as I have seen the tool Detect Feature Changes (Data Management > Data Comparison) only works with POLYLINE features.

Is there any tool for detect feature changes (only geometry) for POINT and POLYGON features?

Many thanks in advance !

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Anna, you're on the right track.  Detect Feature Changes is specifically set up for linear features.  The rest of the Data Management/Data Comparison toolset has other tools that will compare other data types.

ArcGIS Help - Data Comparison Toolset

Specifically, within the Data Comparison toolset, you will find the Feature Compare tool, which runs against feature classes or layers.

ArcGIS Help - Feature Compare

Hope this helps!

Todd

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ToddBlanchette

Hi Anna, you're on the right track.  Detect Feature Changes is specifically set up for linear features.  The rest of the Data Management/Data Comparison toolset has other tools that will compare other data types.

ArcGIS Help - Data Comparison Toolset

Specifically, within the Data Comparison toolset, you will find the Feature Compare tool, which runs against feature classes or layers.

ArcGIS Help - Feature Compare

Hope this helps!

Todd

AnnaMuñoz
New Contributor II

Many thanks for your quick answer Todd !!!

You are completely right. There are many other tools which perform comparison between feature layers but the problem is that none of them makes a classification of the changes detected as the DFC tool does. I'm talking about the CHANGE_TYPE field : NC (No changes), S (Only Spatial Changes), D (Deleted Feature), ...

By the moment, I have solved DFC for polygon features with the following recipe:

(1) Transform Polygons to Polylines,

(2) Execute "Detect Feature Changes" tool,

(3) and finally, re-construct polygons from polylines using their original ID.

If anyone has a better idea, or any workaround for point features, don't hesitate to share.

Thanks in advance !

Anna.

0 Kudos
ColinLang1
New Contributor III

As an alternative, for anyone who stumbles across this like I did, there is another easy way to detect polygon changes - do a Union between your before and after versions, and then anywhere where the ID before doesn't match the ID after has changed spatially.  Once those are accounted for any other mismatches in attributes indicate an attribute change.

0 Kudos
ToddBlanchette

Anna, if you could please move the location of your question out of the GeoNet help discussion area - it's meant for discussions on how to use the GeoNet site itself and not GIS-related questions.

If a moderator catches it before you see this - just ignore!

0 Kudos
AnnaMuñoz
New Contributor II

Ups.... I'm sorry Todd ... this is my first post in the new ESRI forum.

I would try to change the location oft he post. Thanks again !!!