Replace URL Label with Symbol

Jump to solution
05-22-2015 07:03 AM
ScottFraser3
New Contributor III

I'm quite a GIS novice, so please feel free to dumb-it-down to me.

I'm trying to create a layer to overlay a property parcel map.  The purpose of this layer is to identify which parcels have a certain document (Elevation Certificate) on-file, and allow users to access these documents with a click of mouse.

The pdf documents are already web accessible elsewhere in a list format, so URL's already exist for each document.

So far, I've been able to associate the document link with the respective parcels.  However the entire URL link appears on the map, as seen in the image below.  While centered over the correct parcel, the label is so long it covers several parcels, making it difficult to see which parcel is affected and crowd the labels when they get close.

I'd rather have a much smaller standard symbol appear over such lots, which the viewers can click to view the respective document.

map.jpg

How I created these labels (ArcGIS Desktop 10.3).

- I Took the property parcel layer, and added a field to the attributes table for "Elevation Certs."

- When a parcel has an Elevation Certificate, the URL is pasted to this field.  This associates a document with the respective parcel.

- This string field is the label designation for each record in this layer.  It's this string data (URL address) that appears as the label.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt2
MVP Alum
6 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Scott,

check this out: ArcGIS Help 10.1

Tim

ScottFraser3
New Contributor III

This looks great.

I've come to learn with GIS, the trick is in knowing exactly what to ask about.

Picking the correct term or phrase will get you headed in the right direction.  Of all the help items I searched for, "hyperlinks" wasn't among them.  To quote Homer Simpson... "Dunhhh!"

Thanks Tim.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Glad I could help! Dont forget to mark my answer as the correct answer.

0 Kudos
ScottFraser3
New Contributor III

Already marked.

Thanks again.

Scott

Scott Fraser, CFM - FEMA/CRS Coordinator & Floodplain Administrator

T: 305-809-3810 | sfraser@cityofkeywest-fl.gov<mailto:sfraser@cityofkeywest-fl.gov> | www.CityofKeyWest-FL.gov/Flood<http://www.cityofkeywest-fl.gov/Flood>

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Scott...You marked you're  comment as the answered...you may want to go change it to Tim's since he actually answered it (or pointed you to the right page).  If someone looks at this thread right now...the marked answer won't make much sense.  It's all about making it easier for others too.  Have a good weekend.

0 Kudos
ScottFraser3
New Contributor III

Thanks Rebecca.  Think I got it right now.