ArcGIS Pro Geocoding

Jump to solution
05-21-2015 10:22 AM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I am setting up a project to deal with address questions I get over the phone or to verify business license addresses on applications.  I have added a local locator that I use to assign and search for addresses.  My problem is, every time I open the project and type an address in the locate window, I get results from the General Locator.  I am assuming this is Esri's world locator.  I go into settings on the Locate window and uncheck the Enable and Use Suggestions boxes, but when I open the project again they are checked.  I don't want to use that locator, I want to use my own local - more accurate composite locator as the default.  It would be nice if I could right click on the locator and remove it, but that option is greyed out for this locator.

Is it possible?  Or should I continue to use ArcMap?  I like being able to have two separate maps open for the same function.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

Persisting locator settings is a scheduled enhancement for Pro 1.1. All portal locators will continue to be added, and you will still be required to sign into a portal to use most geocoding functionality. However, you would be able to turn locators off and save a project with those settings so that you don't have to do it every time.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

Persisting locator settings is a scheduled enhancement for Pro 1.1. All portal locators will continue to be added, and you will still be required to sign into a portal to use most geocoding functionality. However, you would be able to turn locators off and save a project with those settings so that you don't have to do it every time.

JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Christa,

Thanks for the response.

That's sounding better than being locked in with the Esri World locator.  I still wish you could remove it though.  Maybe a check box hidden in the options?

I can see how the general locator would appeal to most of your customers, but I have spent a great deal of time and effort honing my data and locators for my jurisdiction and would rather see those have more prominence.

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
ChristaHash
Esri Contributor

If you wanted to do away with it altogether, you could configure a custom portal that runs only your geocode services, then sign in using that connection instead of to ArcGIS.com. In that case, the World Service would never be added automatically.