Is there a comprehensive list of Windows Updates that conflict with Esri products?

Jump to solution
05-15-2015 06:50 AM
andysp
by
New Contributor III

I am looking to see if Esri maintains a list of Microsoft Updates / Windows Updates that are known to conflict with Esri products. I have looked around the web and see discussion about specific patches in various forums, but I am looking for something more centralized and authoritative. Ideally this source would be kept up-to-date - so if a certain KB was problematic in the past but Microsoft revised it, it would not appear on the authoritative list because that KB is no longer available (forum posts, though very useful, wind up being outdated because they are generally never revised).

Does such an animal exist?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Short answer....

The beast does not exist...at least in the form you want (ready access, temporally correct).

Realistic answer

The first people to squeak are the users.  The combined totality of the user base increases the probability that most times will be used on most platforms at sometime in a relatively narrow time span.  Reports to are made to Esri or here or kept to themselves to fester, fume and wait for it to be fixed.  The time that it takes for an 'issue' to get acted upon depends on when it was reported, where it was reported and its perceived priority (aka ... how many people will be impacted).  It operates, I am sure, the way Esri's 'Ideas' site works.

The only way that you can ensure that you won't get impacted by anything is to only update when a stable version of Esri products and Windows is available.  Of course this means that you will have to live with the current flaws.  However, it is better to be a lemming in the middle of the pack than the one that is leading the charge to the cliff edge.  I am sure that some...but not all... adopters of any version of any software package will agree.  Think ArcGIS Pro...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Short answer....

The beast does not exist...at least in the form you want (ready access, temporally correct).

Realistic answer

The first people to squeak are the users.  The combined totality of the user base increases the probability that most times will be used on most platforms at sometime in a relatively narrow time span.  Reports to are made to Esri or here or kept to themselves to fester, fume and wait for it to be fixed.  The time that it takes for an 'issue' to get acted upon depends on when it was reported, where it was reported and its perceived priority (aka ... how many people will be impacted).  It operates, I am sure, the way Esri's 'Ideas' site works.

The only way that you can ensure that you won't get impacted by anything is to only update when a stable version of Esri products and Windows is available.  Of course this means that you will have to live with the current flaws.  However, it is better to be a lemming in the middle of the pack than the one that is leading the charge to the cliff edge.  I am sure that some...but not all... adopters of any version of any software package will agree.  Think ArcGIS Pro...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As a followup ... have a look at Joshua's blog post ...

What's in a Name:  When Known = Unknown

​In facet, there are many useful post therein...

0 Kudos