Arconline spyglass map

Jump to solution
05-12-2015 01:47 PM
PaulLowrey
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm attempting to create a simple spyglass or swipe map similar to the ones here:

http://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/gallery/#s=0&md=storymaps-apps:spyglass

However, the 1940s image I want to use (a jpeg georeferenced to a tiff) completely blows up my ArcGIS.com org account credits and then some.  Do I need to host the image on an independent server, or does someone have another simple workaround?

Thanks,

PL

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Paul,

You will have to publish the image as a GIS web service and add that to a web map to use it with the swipe/spyglass app.

How large is the image? Tile and data storage is just 1.2 credits/GB-month, so it shouldn't cost very many credits to host even a large tile cache on ArcGIS Online. To do this add the image to ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, create a tile package, and then upload it to ArcGIS Online and publish as a tile service. If you have access to an ArcGIS Server you could host the image as an image service or map service and not consume any ArcGIS Online credits.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Paul,

You will have to publish the image as a GIS web service and add that to a web map to use it with the swipe/spyglass app.

How large is the image? Tile and data storage is just 1.2 credits/GB-month, so it shouldn't cost very many credits to host even a large tile cache on ArcGIS Online. To do this add the image to ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, create a tile package, and then upload it to ArcGIS Online and publish as a tile service. If you have access to an ArcGIS Server you could host the image as an image service or map service and not consume any ArcGIS Online credits.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
PaulLowrey
New Contributor II

Thanks, Owen, this seemed to work well! I’m not sure what I was doing wrong before, but I probably hadn’t saved the image as a tile package (it’s been a while since I last tried it).

Here’s the link: http://arcg.is/1HqLeKv

PL

This message is intended solely for the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately that you are not the person for whom this email was intended and delete this email from your system.