AnsweredAssumed Answered

GEO tool required to extract state city town data from map

Question asked by ivor@itpr.co.za on May 11, 2015
Latest reply on May 12, 2015 by ivor@itpr.co.za

I am developing a media portal and I am trying to define the circulation / broadcast area for the media (newspapers/magazines/radio/television) and extract states/cities/towns within the defined area to our database. This will enable users to search for media in specific regions/cities/towns.

Please see the following example.

Map.jpg

You can also see the following link of a company that has developed something very similar to what I need. However, their app returns all listed properties in an area where mine needs to return all regions/cities and towns. But the tool is exactly what I need. See http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/map/property/london/?q=London

As a quick solution, I would like to run a geoprocessing service within a web app, it's a pretty simple GIS task (select all points that fall within a defined area). If you know the circulation area (polygons) of each media, then querying the database to find all city points that fall within specific polygons is just a SQL statement or geoprocessing tool (select by location) away.

Also, we need to setup what size of town (based on population/area/etc.) if that data is available.

Furthermore, the user must be able to define several areas on the map and we need to limit user to specific country.

Many thanks and kind regards

Ivor van Rensburg

The Media Gateway

Mobile: +27 82 652 8050

Facsimile: +27 86 512 6940

Email: info@themediagateway.co.za

Outcomes