HEC-GeoRAS and HEC-GeoHMS ApFramework9 installation Problems

11-03-2010 04:11 PM
Labels (1)
ChristianRomeyn1
New Contributor
I am running ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.4000 on Windows XP. I recently installed Hec-GeoHMS 9.2.93.16 on my machine. It did not work correctly so aftre reading the forums I uninstalled all legacy components (including GeoRAS), cleaned the registry, and reinstalled. It took multiple tries but I finally got it to work with ApFramework9 3.1.0.42 and ArcHydro 1.4.0.124. Today I tried to reinstall Hec-GeoRAS and received the error "An incorrect version of ApFramework9 was found on the system. HEC-GeoRAS requires Apframework9 version 3.1.0.93. Please uninstall the existing ApFramework9 version and restart this installation." If I do this I suspect that Hec-GeoHMS will not work because of incompatibility with 3.1.0.93. It seems ridiculous that you would have to uninstall and reinstall every time you switched from GeoRAS to GeoHMS. Does anybody have any insight? Are versions of HEC-GeoRAS and HEC-GeoHMS that use the same ApFramework9?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Romeyn,

You were close to getting it all correct. Unfortunately your version of HEC-GeoRAS was newer than your installed HEC-GeoHMS version. The four Water Resources Applications--ApplicationFramework9, ArcHydro, HEC-GeoHMS, HEC-GeoRAS are all developed/maintained in sync meaning that you need to change all as you update any component.

At the Water Resources group ftp site, ftp://RiverHydraulics:river%2E1114@ftp.esri.com,  you need to closely read the latest release notes and installation procedures (it is the ReadmeMMDDYYYY.doc document).

As I said, you were close, the last build date for the ArcGIS 9.3.1 Water Resources Applications was 10/8/2010; so for ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 SP2 (build 4000) you can use either the v4.2.93.51 or v5.0.0.67 of GeoHMS from that build date. In addition to the latest development version of GeoHMS, the 10/8/2010 builds would install ArcHydro, v1.4.0.253, and the correct build of the ApplicationFramework9, v3.1.0.93. 

You can then follow that with another  install attempt of HEC-GeoRAS v4.3.1.16 from that build date (built/posted the 15th) which will accept the installed v3.1.0.93 ApplicationFramework9.

Poking around in the folders for each water application will help you to verify you've got matching build versions--look at the build dates while following along in the release notes/install procedures document.

Yes its confusing, but these Water Resources development apps are on the bleeding edge and so require that you follow along with the development process as you put them to use.

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
New Contributor
Stuart,
I reinstalled per your last instructions and geoRAS has been working for the last few days. I just went to do a demo of GeoHMS for Coworker, using the American River example project, and when I go to generat project I am getting the attached error message. Any ideas?
Chris
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Chris,

Good to know that you've made some progress.  But as to your HECGeoHMS9 error:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004005): Error HRESULT E_Fail has been returned from a call to a COM component.
at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.GeoProcessorClass.GetEnvironmentValue(String environmentName)
at HECGeoHMS9.GenerateProject.UpdateAHD(String rasterLocation, String vectorLocation, String ahProjName)

Were you working with an old HMS project geodatabase or did you run preprocessing from scratch and setup a new HMS Project? It looks to me like it could be in the AppFramework, but I just don't do enough work in the Water Resources extensions to be much help.

If you're up for it you might try the 9.3.1 specific v5.0 release of GeoHMS from the ftp site to see if that clears the error (but you'd also need to bring up the GeoRAS version as well).

For more assistance from anyone on the forum, you'll need to post back OS and specific release versions (you said you're on ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP2 build 4000); post the build dates and version for ArcHydro, GeoHMS and GeoRAS.

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
New Contributor
Stuart,
Currently I'm running AecGIS Desktop 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 4000), Arc Hydro Tool 9 (version 1.2.0.253GeoRAS 4.3.93, GeoHMS 4.2.93, Water utilities Application Framework version 3.1.0.93. Is there a more recent set? What is the date on the FTP server for the files that I should try?
Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Chris,

What OS flavor--WinXP, Vista or Win7, 32 or 64bit?

Also, use the add/remove program app or a utility, i.e. CCleaner, to identify which version of the water resource utilities you've loaded.

In doing the updates. I've found it most effective to remove all Water Resources App components and start the install fresh. So AppFramework, ArcHydro9, HECGeoHMS and HECGeoRAS should all come off. Use CCleaner or Revo Uninstaller.  Also, delete the program folders \ESRI\WaterUtils and \HEC to be sure your starting fresh.  Of course protect any project folders if you've put them in those directories.

Use an ftp tool rather than your web browser to review the directories at the Water Resources ftp site, I prefer FileZilla ( http://filezilla-project.org ). It makes navigating, file review and downloads much easier. Unfortunately it gets a little confusing because the ReadmeMMDDYYYY.doc is sometimes a little behind and while the table of latest releases is pretty current the dated release notes are not annotated with the specific build numbers they refer to.

So, looking at the support site, as of today -- 20101118:

ApFramework9 v3.1.0.93 was built on 20100914 and is the version currently bundled with installers for ArcHydroTools9, HEC GeoHMS and HEC GeoRAS.

HEC GeoHMS for 9.3-9.3.1 v4.2.93.51 was built on 20101008

HEC GeoRAS for 9.3.1 v4.3.1.21 was just built on 20101116 -- is listed on the ftp site as .20 (rather its folder has not been renamed)

In addition to the ApFramework9 v3.1.0.93, the v4.2.93.51 GeoHMS install loads ArcHydroTools for 9.3.1  v1.4.0.253 built on 20101008

The development release of HEC GeoHMS for 9.3.1, v5.0.0.69 was built on 20101111.  It will install the same v3.1.0.93 of AppFramework9, but it installs  ArcHydroTools9 for 9.3.1 v1.4.0.255 built on 20101015.

The water resource ftp site does not have the ArcHydroTools9 v 1.4.0.255 posted, just .253.

To get you current with latest patches and updates uninstall all, and load the v5.0.0.69 build of HEC GeoHMS with its bundled ApFramework and ArcHydroTools9. Run that against the demo project and see if the error clears. You can reload HEC GeoRAS v4.3.1.21 when convenient.

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
New Contributor
Stuart,
I'm using filezilla. What is the address? when I got to ftp.esri.com I ended up in a /pub folder that doesn't seem to have any of the files.
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Use these credentials provided by ESRI in setting up your connection from FileZilla:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/8274-ArcHydro-in-ArcGIS-10?p=35289#post35289
    ftp.esri.com
    login: RiverHydraulics
    password: river.1114

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
New Contributor
Stuart,
I uninstalling all versions of everything. I did not insatll GeoRAS.  I installed GeoHMS v5.0.0.69. When I open ArcMAP the GeoHMS Main View Toolbar can't be found. When I go to Tools>Customize the only option is to add a HEC-GeoRAS toolbar, there are not two choices like there used to be. Thus I can only process all my layers I cannot create a HMS project. I uninstalled all again and then I reinstalled GeoHMS 4.2.93.51. I am still getting the same error. I'm on Windows XP service pack 2.

Chris
0 Kudos
ChristianRomeyn
New Contributor
Stuart,
This is what Revo says is left over from Apframwork. Which boxes do I check?
0 Kudos