Geoevent Processor and Verizon Networkfleet

Jump to solution
05-07-2015 09:10 AM
ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

I am looking to purchase the Geoevent Processor Extension for ArcGIS server to bring in data from the Verizon Networkfleet.  But I wanted to try and get more detail into how it works.  Verizon sent me directions for the set up (see attachment).  On page six it shows how to set up the input, then it talks about providing them that input URL so they can push data to it.  Our GIS server is not assessable over the internet, but can access the internet, does anyone know if this will work?

Or as another option can you install the Geoevent Processor Extension on a separate server from ArcGIS server?

Details:

Running Window Server 2008 R2

IIS7

ArcGIS Sever 10.2.1

thanks for any insight.

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielJohns
Occasional Contributor

Our configuration is nearly the same, we're using 10.3 though. Our server is not public facing so we obtained the IPs from Networkfleet (should be two, one is the normal operations IP where data is fed from and the second is a backup). Our IT guru opened two "pinholes" through the cisco policy to permit traffic from only those two IPs. The traffic is then fed to our GIS server (by IP).

After access was granted we submitted the document Networkfleet provided, waited for their official agreement and then data was live within a couple of days. Honestly outside of that, we've relied of the same document you attached which actually came from the Esri team.

Don't worry about setting up a second server. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanielJohns
Occasional Contributor

Our configuration is nearly the same, we're using 10.3 though. Our server is not public facing so we obtained the IPs from Networkfleet (should be two, one is the normal operations IP where data is fed from and the second is a backup). Our IT guru opened two "pinholes" through the cisco policy to permit traffic from only those two IPs. The traffic is then fed to our GIS server (by IP).

After access was granted we submitted the document Networkfleet provided, waited for their official agreement and then data was live within a couple of days. Honestly outside of that, we've relied of the same document you attached which actually came from the Esri team.

Don't worry about setting up a second server. Hope this helps.

ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Daniel very helpful!!

Tom

0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Thomas -

What Daniel describes is certainly viable, and probably the preferred way to allow Verizon to HTTP / POST data to your ArcGIS Server on-premises. To answer your second question, GeoEvent is an extension to ArcGIS Server and requires ArcGIS Server be installed. So, no, you cannot install GeoEvent on a server which does not have ArcGIS Server.

An alternative to having your IT staff create tunnels for Verizon IPs would be to stand-up an ArcGIS Server and GeoEvent Extension in the cloud, say on Amazon EC2. This server would be public facing. Because Web Sockets use port 80 you could then have your primary on-premises server connect to a Web Socket hosed by the public facing server in the cloud ... and then relay event information from the GeoEvent running in the cloud to the GeoEvent you have running behind your firewall.

The downside to this approach is that you have to license ArcGIS Server and the GeoEvent Extension for both the server you have stood-up in the cloud and the server you have on-premises. That's why I think Daniel's approach would be preferred - but if opening a tunnel for Verizon to use to access your on-premises server is not an option, then at least you have an alternative.

Hope this information helps -

RJ

ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

RJ,

The cloud sounds promising, but I don't think we are ready to make that jump just yet.  Thanks for your help!!

Tom 

0 Kudos