How to label only those rasters that are currently in view

Jump to solution
05-07-2015 05:58 AM
BillHoney
New Contributor III

Hi,

Does anyone know a way to label only the rasters that are currently "in view" in a mosaic?

I have a bunch of overlapping rasters in a mosaic,  some of which totally obscure the ones underneath according to my mosaicking rules.

I would like to label only those that are on top (or partially visible on top)

I have tried various labelling options on the footprint layer,  but it creates a label for every raster in the frame, regardless of whether it is contributing to the mosaic  or on the top.

Any ideas ?

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

If understanding you correctly, please try one of the following two ways, when MD contains many overlapping rasters in certain areas:

1. you can adjust the raster properties like LoPS, HiPS, MinPS, and MaxPS in MD to use /control which ones you are going to display or be used for the generation of overviews.

2. you can control or modify Footprint(s) for the same result...

Pls refer to Image Management and ArcGIS Help 10.1

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
larryzhang

If understanding you correctly, please try one of the following two ways, when MD contains many overlapping rasters in certain areas:

1. you can adjust the raster properties like LoPS, HiPS, MinPS, and MaxPS in MD to use /control which ones you are going to display or be used for the generation of overviews.

2. you can control or modify Footprint(s) for the same result...

Pls refer to Image Management and ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I would probably make a new feature class of the footprint layer to use for labeling.

0 Kudos
larryzhang

Sounds good idea…

Yes, to effectively manage MD with GP tools, 'mostly' it is better to use Footprints (and Seamlines), rather than adjusting MD properties like MinPS, MaxPS, LowPS, HighPS …

0 Kudos