Finding GIS Experts with interest in Urban Design

05-06-2015 12:27 PM
AdamGutman
New Contributor

My company is looking for people with strong GIS/database skills but want to apply them to urban design and master planning. I am working on the job listing but I honestly don't know what to ask for in order to attract top level talent. We are a start up and need people who can do many things, so I am curious if there are key words that people in this field are looking for in their job search. Thanks!

4 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Some ideas from working for many years in the Consulting world with Urban Planners and more recently with City Planners as a City Employee:

1.  Describe the challenges of Urban Design and Masterplanning.  In particular, I'd stress the dynamic and creative aspect of it, which can be a very different flavor of GIS than say for example doing daily/routine Asset Management.  This will give you a better pool of candidates who are into your type of work.

2.  If the GIS position does not require that the candidate be an Planner by profession, be sure to state so.  If the position does require the candidate be an Planner, then state so.  Be clear so potential candidates are not scared away by assumptions.

3.  If your company has GIS people, ask them for what they see is needed to be successful.  If you don't have GIS people, the first step will be to determine what you will need the GIS candidate to do.  What is the workflow?  What tasks need to be accomplished?  Then, what skills would the candidate need to accomplish this?  If you want someone with strong skills, defining those skills will really help.

For example, for your company, what does "strong GIS/Database skills" mean?  Does the Database skills translate to expertise in geodatabases, SQL Server, Access, SDE, AutoCAD, etc?  If you can refine that, it will help quite a bit.  Plus, you will need this understanding not only for the advertisement of the position, but as part of the selection criteria once you get a pool of applicants.  How are you going to differentiate the applicants to pick the one that best fits?

4.  You may need to hire a GIS consultant (or buy a knowlegeable GIS person you know some beer) to help you figure out the GIS particulars for the position.  You will have a better chance of attracting GIS talent if at least part of the ad is in "GIS-speak" - at least as we in the field use it.  Likewise, if the ad is written by someone who has no clue about GIS (which unfortunately is all too common), it will be a turn off.  For example, a commonly-seen phrase like this immediately makes a company look a bit clueless "The GIS candidate must have 10 years experience with ArcGIS 10.3" (i.e this version has only been out a short while).

5.  If the GIS position will involve setting up GIS for the first time, then say so in your ad.  Some GIS folks like the challenge of setting up a shop from scratch, while others would rather be in an established environment.  Again, this may involve hiring a consultant or having a short-time hire to get things set up, then later hiring staff for the position once it is rolling.

Chris Donohue, GISP

AdamGutman
New Contributor

This has been very helpful - Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One more:

Consider where you will advertise the position.  For example, besides the common GIS job sites also consider the Planning Sites.  For example, consider listing with the American Planning Association Jobs Online , Planetizen Jobs | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network , and other Planning related organizations.

Chris Donohue, GISP

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One more - a specific one since the requirement is that you want Experts /top-level talent.

- People become experts by learning and not all learning happens on the job.  Consider if your company can offer ongoing educational opportunities for the candidates.  For example, the company will be willing to pay for classes (like ESRI training in Redlands, CA), attending Conferences (like the ESRI International Users Conference in San Diego), online GIS classes, etc, and can do this on company time.  GIS changes fast, so offering GIS staff opportunities to keep up is quite an attraction.  Top-level GIS talent usually isn't just looking for a paycheck, they also want the opportunity to be effective in their field.

If your company is willing to do this, then definitely mention it in your job post as a benefit.  This will differentiate your organization from the many others out there who (unfortunately) do not offer any employer-sponsored training.

Chris Donohue, GISP