GDB - File Geodatabase

05-05-2015 07:41 AM
MarvinKalani
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a huge folder with a .gdb content in it and want to display it via ArcGis .Net I found out that I have to use :

Geodatabase gdb = await Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Data.Geodatabase.OpenAsync();

But what I always get is a "Unable to open the database file : " Error.

So I read that I have to set up a ArcGis Server, currently we have such a Server Licence here in the Company. So I managed to Install the Server and see a "SampleWorldCities" Service running. Now I wanted to add my .gdb into this Server, but there is no way to do it.

I dont have a Arcgis Desktop or ArcMap Licence to do it with that.

So :

How can I access the .gdb files with :

Geodatabase gdb = await Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Data.Geodatabase.OpenAsync();

Thanks for a simple way to do it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III

Are you working with File Geodatabase or Runtime enabled geodatabase (created using ArcMap / downloaded from Feature Service)?

If you are working with runtime enabled geodatabase, what is the full code that you are using? Please note that we don't support directly File Geodatabases in runtime at the moment.

0 Kudos
FreddieGibson

I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Did you create runtime content in ArcGIS to create a *.geodatabase file that can be consumed in ArcGIS for Runtime or are you attempting to open a file geodatabase (i.e. *.gdb) in ArcGIS for Runtime.

If you're doing the latter please note that Runtime will not allow you to natively open a file geodatabase from disk. I believe this is where you may have read the information about needing ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
MarvinKalani
New Contributor II

1. I am attempting to open a file geodatabase (*.gdb Folder) in ArcGIS for Runtime .Net with the command : Geodatabase gdb = await Esri.ArcGISRuntime.Data.Geodatabase.OpenAsync();

(I suppose it was created with ArcGis Desktop, but I don't know.)

2. I now read a lot and understood that I can not open it directly, But with the ArcGis Server. I have the ArcGis Server 10.3. But now I am not able to create a Webservice/Service with it manually to serve my *.gdb folder. It seems that I have to have additional Software to do this, like ArcMap or ArcGis for Desktop. But I dont have it.

Question : Is there a simple way to show the content of the *.gdb folder in a Layer?

0 Kudos
FreddieGibson

The simple answer is not without using ArcGIS for Desktop to provide access to that data in a supported manner (i.e. Services, Map Packages, or Runtime Content). Typically you would need ArcGIS for Desktop (i.e. ArcMap) to create and manage the content that you'll be publishing to ArcGIS for Server. The only exception to this rule would be to utilize the service admin api to publish a map document up to the server. An example of this is shown below, you'd just need to check to see that all of the needed arcpy functions are available with only a server install.

Example: Publish a map service from a map document (MXD)

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000005qr000000

The catch in using the above sample is that you're still going to need access to ArcMap to create the map document because python is only capable of manipulating them.