Will ArcGIS Pro run on Mac X OS

Jump to solution
05-04-2015 07:56 AM
FletcherMajors
New Contributor II

I am interested in purchasing a Mac Book but would like to run ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro on it. Is this possible for either or both programs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

The current answer is not natively.  You will need either a BootCamp partition running a MS Windows instance, or a VM environment hosting a MS Windows guest OS.

The SDKs for OS X and iOS are evolving. And the Python based ArcGIS Pro has a lot of additional product development in the works, so at some point an ArcGIS Pro instance for Darwin/OS X and other Linux/Unix is a possibility.

Esri's decision to move in that direction will depend on what the market asks for.

So for now, your only native options are OGR/GDAL and QGIS

Stuart

View solution in original post

5 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

The current answer is not natively.  You will need either a BootCamp partition running a MS Windows instance, or a VM environment hosting a MS Windows guest OS.

The SDKs for OS X and iOS are evolving. And the Python based ArcGIS Pro has a lot of additional product development in the works, so at some point an ArcGIS Pro instance for Darwin/OS X and other Linux/Unix is a possibility.

Esri's decision to move in that direction will depend on what the market asks for.

So for now, your only native options are OGR/GDAL and QGIS

Stuart

FletcherMajors
New Contributor II

Thanks for answer.

Do you know if ArcMAP and ArcGIS Pro will run in Bootcamp on the new light weight Apple MacBook? Has anyone tried this?

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

So long as you meet the system requirements, you should be fine:

ArcGIS Pro system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Professionals

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have had good luck with ArcMap ("Desktop 10x") and ArcInfo Workstation (AML forever!) under Parallels on my old trusty iMac, but I'm less optimistic with Pro unless you have lots of RAM.

I'm pretty sure I disagree with Stuart's optimism of a Linux version on the horizon. ArcGIS Pro at its core is a Windows WPF (Windows Presentation Framework) app so I don't see a version being available native on unix-like platforms.  Arcpy itself and other Esri-flavored applications are not so tied to the os-specific architectures so that is more doable, but Pro is a Windows thing.

Given the extreme hardware requirements of Pro, I do not think it will be very stable or useful unless you are running native (say, BootCamp rather than Parallels, so you have access to all the resources) and have a very high-end Mac platform. I wouldn't even consider running Pro unless you have 8G of RAM available to Windows, and a upper-end display adapter pipeline (i.e. not my 2007 iMac).

I see the new Mac Pro (3.48 lbs!) configures up to 16G RAM, and of course they I always use upper-end Intel processors, so I guess my answer is a qualified yes.

FletcherMajors
New Contributor II

Thanks for response.

Fletcher Majors, ALC

4027 U.S. Hwy. 231

Wetumpka, AL 36093

(334) 472-0029 office direct

(334) 328-9278 cell & text

Fletcher@GreatSouthernLand.com<mailto:Fletcher@GreatSouthernLand.com>

www.GreatSouthernLand.com<http://www.GreatSouthernLand.com>

0 Kudos