Setting Target Locations - ArcCatalog

10-27-2010 10:15 PM
Labels (1)
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
My previous post regarding running Arc Hydro 1.4 - Batch Terrain Processing identified that ArcHydro does not generate the vector folder where the rasters are to be stored or the file geodatabase where the vector data is to be stored. I received confirmation from ESRI - Arc Hydro Team this morning. I would like to find out from anyone if there is a possible work around that I could use to generate the necessary default locations for the rasters and vector datasets from ArcCatalog. I'm trying to automate the Batch Processing Tool from ArcCatalog as I have a large amount of watersheds to process. Any help will be appreicated.

Regards
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
LornaMurison
Occasional Contributor
Would ApUtilities --> Set Target Locations not do the trick?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm also having some problems with the Set Target Locations tool.  I'm trying to create a Deranged Network, so I'm running the following steps:
1) Sink Prescreening (thins out# of sinks)
2) Sink Evaluation (builds polygon feature classes of sinks and their drainage areas)
3) Sink Selection (selects relevant sinks based on query)
4) Fill Sinks (fills all sinks except those selected in step 3)

My problem occurs when I hit Step 4 (Fill Sinks).  As soon as I select 'Fill Sinks" from the menu, the box asking me to set the target locations pops up (see attached).  Then, no matter what target locations I choose, the box won't go away if I click "OK".  I can click "Cancel" to close it, but then I cannot access the Fill Sinks Tool.  Once this error has happened once, it happens with every tool I try to run in that mxd. 

I have tried, among many things:
-setting target locations first
-Multiple different datasets
-Loading data into new mxds
-Uninstall/re install ArcGIS
-Uninstall/re-install ArcHydro
-closing all programs except Arc

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.  Arc10 SP3, ArcHydro 2.0.1.133_2.0_Final.  I'm thinking of reformatting my comp, but would love not to.....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've hit a wall here.

Thanks,
Brendan
0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Hi Brendan 🙂

I'm currently running Windows 7 64bit with ArcGIS 10 SP3 and the latest ArcHydro 2.0 (26 Sept 11). The first thing that I notest is that your layers path for set locations is not refering to the defualt layers folder where ArcHydro generally saves all the rasters that are generated. C:\Work\Kamloops\. It should be C:\Work\Kamloops\Layers\. The word layers is the folder thats originally generated when you initially save your mxd that you are using to run ArcHydro. If all else fails unintstall Archydro and download the latest from the ESRI ftp server. I dont have the address currently on me, but if you search ESRI FTP ArcHydro within the forums you will find it within one of the forums posted. best of luck.

Regards
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, you're right about the location not being correct on the screen shot I posted.  I think at that time I was checking to see if the Layers folder was causing my problems, so I changed the path temporarily.  However, the main problem seems to be with the vector data path and the geodatabase.  I am able to create one dataset in the geodatabase, and then if I try to add any more, or even try to use that one dataset for any further AH analysis, the tool I am trying to use crashes (doesn't matter which AH tool).

For example:  I run Sink Evaluation, which creates SinkPoly and SinkDA feature classes in the geodatabase.  Then, the next tool I try to run that either uses those feature classes, or tries to create new feature classes (say, Catchment Grid Delineation, or Flow Direction with Sinks) causes the "Set Target Locations" box to pop up, blocking me from running the tool no matter where I set the locations to.   I am also unable to change the path to the database in the Set Target Locations menu.  It always reverts to the default (which would be fine, except the default keeps crashing my tools!).

I have reinstalled AH with the most recent version, and I have reinstalled ArcGIS.  Neither has helped, so I think I will reformat my computer when I have some time.  Unless you have any other ideas?:D

Thanks,
Brendan
0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, you're right about the location not being correct on the screen shot I posted.  I think at that time I was checking to see if the Layers folder was causing my problems, so I changed the path temporarily.  However, the main problem seems to be with the vector data path and the geodatabase.  I am able to create one dataset in the geodatabase, and then if I try to add any more, or even try to use that one dataset for any further AH analysis, the tool I am trying to use crashes (doesn't matter which AH tool).

For example:  I run Sink Evaluation, which creates SinkPoly and SinkDA feature classes in the geodatabase.  Then, the next tool I try to run that either uses those feature classes, or tries to create new feature classes (say, Catchment Grid Delineation, or Flow Direction with Sinks) causes the "Set Target Locations" box to pop up, blocking me from running the tool no matter where I set the locations to.   I am also unable to change the path to the database in the Set Target Locations menu.  It always reverts to the default (which would be fine, except the default keeps crashing my tools!).

I have reinstalled AH with the most recent version, and I have reinstalled ArcGIS.  Neither has helped, so I think I will reformat my computer when I have some time.  Unless you have any other ideas?:D

Thanks,
Brendan

Hi Brendan

I have one more possible solution. This will require you to uninstall ArcHydro, restart your computer, then find your temp folder under delete everything under your user profile and reinstall ArcHydro. ArcHydro create a temp ArcHydro tartget locations file under the temp folder. Yours could have become corrupted and was not removed when you reinstalled and therefore reinstalling without removing this never solved your problem. I sure this or your windows is causing the problem as I use ArcHydro on a daily basis.

Regards
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the idea.  I did try this previously, and I tried it again today, but it didn't seem to make a difference.  I'm only cleaning out my Temp folder, not deleting it entirely - I assume that's what you mean?

I've also tried changing the location of the Temp folder using the Advanced System Settings in Windows, and it doesn't seem to change my results.

When I run the tools from the Toolbox instead of the menu I get the error, "Object reference not set to instance of an object".  It's a pretty generic error, but does that mean anything to you?

Cheers,
Brendan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Success!!

Well, I think the problem is solved!  I was very surprised that uninstalling/re-installing ArcGIS didn't fix my problem initially.  But, I was chatting with a coworker and he mentioned that an uninstall isn't really a clean uninstall since it does not remove the "normal.mxt" file from your computer (among other things).

So, I made a backup of my normal.mxt file, deleted the original, and voila - ArcHydro runs like its old self!    So, it must have been a corrupt normal.mxt file.  I sure didn't expect that, but I'm stoked that it's fixed.  Now I can get back to work!:D

Thanks for your help Peter.

Cheers,
Brendan
0 Kudos
PeterWilson
Hi Brendan

Glad you came right 🙂

Regards
0 Kudos