Has anyone else noticed the inordinate amount of memory Pro takes up?

04-28-2015 02:29 PM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Has anyone else noticed the inordinate amount of memory Pro takes up?  I can't even get it to load a layer in the 3D mode it is taking up so much system memory.  According to Windows Task Manager it is taking 1,873,000K of memory.  72% of my physical memory is being used right now and the bulk of it is Pro. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (2)
11 Replies
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Now that you mention it, ArcGIS Pro is tackling 930,000K of memory in a simple project I opened only rendering a basemap. ArcMap in a similar session as 200,000K of memory. I guess when we spec out computers go for memory

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you know if it can use all available memory?

BenGrod

Good question Dan though I don't know the answer. I told myself I would move over to ArcGIS Pro, use it daily, and learn more about it. But admittedly I return to ArcMap when I need to get something accomplished . So, I'm still quite a novice on ArcGIS Pro and it's capabilities.

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I thought Pro was a full on 64bit app, so it should be able to address tb's of memory.

Havn't played with it yet. Sort of hanging back. Plus the news of the "rental" subscription is irritating.

Next laptop will have a minimum of 16Gb of ram

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

My computer has 8GB of RAM and it seemed to be struggling to run Pro.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
RandyKreuziger

A coworker just bought a $14,000 8 core server with 256 GB of memory to do show heavy duty processing.  He was running a process that was working on a polygon feature class with over 10 million polygons.  Task manager showed that Arc Pro was using about 55 GB of memory.  Impressive, yet scary!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

256 GB...grief...I am getting 32GB...time for a phone call to update before it is all built 

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I have the strong feeling there are some bad memory leaks in ArcGIS Pro that need fixing (ArcGIS Pro 1.2). I have worked on the conversion of a tool that now runs in both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, and that needs to generate a couple of hundreds of layers in the TOC, setting symbology and definition queries. This runs fine in ArcMap, but it simply won't finish in ArcGIS Pro. It gets stuck somewhere in the process, with memory soaring above 6-7GB.

When I limit the number of the layers to generate, it may finish.

But after generating a small number of layers (+/- 15), I accidentally opened the attribute tables of all the layers at once... (which reference a relative small dataset of +/- 50k records). ArcGIS Pro dutifully started to try to open all of them, but it was terribly slow, despite limited number of records and fully indexed fields. Not wanting to wait for this, I hit the close button of the last opened table still in the process of opening, and subsequently, ArcGIS Pro became totally unresponsive and memory went up to 13GB before I decided to kill it (machine has 16GB).

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Marco - please report this issue (and include repro case/tool/machine specs) to Esri Support, so we can have a developer take a look.

0 Kudos