Start and End Points of a line (Field Calculator)

Jump to solution
04-27-2015 06:07 PM
JessicaKnapp
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm interested in calculating the start and end points of a line in the field calculator. I've researched several boards and I cannot come up with code that successfully calculates the geometry. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

This is an older thread, but since I just had to do this for one of my scripts, I thought I would share the code I used.  In my case, I already created a fishnet, as polylines that are clipped by a study area, and then converted  the "multipart" segments to "singlepart" (so each segment in separate) ...but it should be able to work with any line.  I addfields called x1, y1, x2, y2 for my needs...but you can name whatever works for you.

fishnetFC =  r"C:\Prep.gdb\FishnetIntersect_L_single"

ptFields = [["X1", "!SHAPE.firstPoint.X!"], ["Y1", "!SHAPE.firstPoint.Y!"], ["X2", "!SHAPE.lastPoint.X!"], ["Y2", "!SHAPE.lastPoint.Y!"]]
for field in ptFields:
    print("adding field {0}...".format(field[0]))
    arcpy.AddField_management(fishnetFC, field[0], "DOUBLE", "", "", "", "", "NULLABLE", "NON_REQUIRED", "")
    print("  calcing field {0} to be {1}".format(field[0], field[1]))
    arcpy.CalculateField_management(fishnetFC, field[0], field[1], "PYTHON_9.3" )

In any case Jessica, you should mark helpful comments as such, and either mark this as "assumed answered" or the answer that best solved your issue.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is built-in as a tool, open your table and check out Calculate field tool options, one of which allows you to calculate polyline properties

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Using_the_Calculate_Field_tool/005s0000002...

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jessica,

You could add a new field in attribute table and use Calculate Geometry to get the desired geometric properties.

Think Location
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

At 10.0 and above you have to use Python to do geometry calculations with the Field Calculator.  The calculation to extract the Start point coordinates is:

!Shape.FirstPoint.X! (or Y, Z, or M)

The End point coordinates is similar:

!Shape.LastPoint.X! (or Y, Z or M)

See my responses in this thread for more geometry options.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

This is an older thread, but since I just had to do this for one of my scripts, I thought I would share the code I used.  In my case, I already created a fishnet, as polylines that are clipped by a study area, and then converted  the "multipart" segments to "singlepart" (so each segment in separate) ...but it should be able to work with any line.  I addfields called x1, y1, x2, y2 for my needs...but you can name whatever works for you.

fishnetFC =  r"C:\Prep.gdb\FishnetIntersect_L_single"

ptFields = [["X1", "!SHAPE.firstPoint.X!"], ["Y1", "!SHAPE.firstPoint.Y!"], ["X2", "!SHAPE.lastPoint.X!"], ["Y2", "!SHAPE.lastPoint.Y!"]]
for field in ptFields:
    print("adding field {0}...".format(field[0]))
    arcpy.AddField_management(fishnetFC, field[0], "DOUBLE", "", "", "", "", "NULLABLE", "NON_REQUIRED", "")
    print("  calcing field {0} to be {1}".format(field[0], field[1]))
    arcpy.CalculateField_management(fishnetFC, field[0], field[1], "PYTHON_9.3" )

In any case Jessica, you should mark helpful comments as such, and either mark this as "assumed answered" or the answer that best solved your issue.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I have marked the answer of Rebecca as the correct answer since it was place in Python snippets and code was requested, although the other answers are very good ones too, since you don't need code to do this.

0 Kudos