Maps for Office 3.0 & Portal 10.3 or 10.2

04-27-2015 02:15 AM
AndrewBradley1
New Contributor II

Hi. I've been using Maps for Office 2 with no problems. I've recently installed Maps for Office 3.0 on one machine to test it and and I can't get any users to login.  It works fine using our ArcGIS Online accounts but as soon as we use one of our own portals it wont login.  It constantly says the username and password are incorrect when i try our 10.2 portal and on 10.3 it says "Failed to sign in"

Has any one else had any problems?

Does anyone know where the log files are I can check to find more detailed information

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SusanJones
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All

We are running into a lot of issues with ESRI Maps for Office 10.2.2

Since the environment was upgraded to ESRi 10.3 3 weeks ago we see:

1. It takes 30 seconds to authenticate the user. It eventually gets there. Performance issues are across the board.

2. Cannot search for Portal content through ESRI Maps for Office. The portal icon spins but returns nothing

3. Cannot add Portal content through ESRI Maps for Office. The portal icon spins but returns nothing

4. Cannot load a selection of more than 10 records. A threshold seem to have been imposed or it is simply not permitted.

5.Source coordinates are in WGS84. This always worked for a full setb under ESRI Maps for Office 10.2.2

Susan Jones

Auckland Transport

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew and Susan,

Just to help troubleshoot, if both of you are running Portal for ArcGIS 10.3, have you installed the Esri Maps for Office Resources for Portal for ArcGIS 10.3 or higher resource files? The Portal resource files must be installed on same machine as your Portal machine.

Learn more here: Working with Portal—Esri Maps for Office | ArcGIS

Hope this helps,

SusanJones

Hi Derek

Thanks for this. So the solution is to install some server-sided libraries for the Portal 10.3. Good to know.

Are there any implications or performance impacts of doing this?

This is just for ESRI Maps for Office, isn't?

ESRI Maps for Business Objects v2.0 Should still keep working as is?

Susan

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Susan,

Q1) Are there any implications or performance impacts of doing this?

A1) None to my knowledge.

Q2) This is just for ESRI Maps for Office, isn't?

A2) Yes

Q3) ESRI Maps for Business Objects v2.0 Should still keep working as is?

A3) I am not aware of any issues with Esri Maps for Business Objects.

Hope this helps,

SusanJones

Hi Derek

Awesome response, as usual.

It's nice to get this sort of confidence and feedback before taking the plunge.

Susan

0 Kudos
AndrewBradley1
New Contributor II

Right, after much head scratching I have resolved the issues I was having, i'll post it here in case others have the same problem

The problem. Maps for office works fine with AGOL but not my 10.3 portal, error page shows "Failed to sign in" but only when I put in a correct username and password.

Following Derek's advice I uninstalled and reinstalled the resources but that did not help.  I then installed some free software called Fiddler2 which monitors https traffic.  Using Fiddler i could see a connection to la.arcgis.com.  After much internet searching I found out that on initial install there is a file created : ESRI.ArcGIS.Mapping.OfficeIntegration.Excel.dll.config in the folder C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Esri Maps.  I edited this file to remove reference to la.arcgis.com and replaced them with references to my server.  

Once i changed this everything started working ... i'll post here if I make any other observations that could help others

SusanJones

Hi Andrew

This is brilliant. I have been stumbling down this path using the 10. 2.2 notes along with the  10.3. The messages were suggesting not being able to authenticate and it makes sens now reading your post - we are authenticating to Porta like after all and not to arc gis online.

Just one question - did you replace like. LA.ARCGIS.COM with the arcgis server or portal?

The benefits of Fiddler...

Susan

0 Kudos
AndrewBradley1
New Contributor II

Glad I could help someone else .. at the moment I am using the portal URL, i'm not sure what the implication is but no problems so far

The next problem is that it wont let me change the geometry service ... which i think is preventing me mapping things so i am looking for a way to change that manually

SusanJones

Hi Andrew,

Like it is said in the proverbial classics "You are too cool"

Thanks for this.

Susan

0 Kudos