spitting a polgyon to an exact size

Jump to solution
04-24-2015 12:01 PM
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

I have a 6-acrea polygon, in ArcGIS 10, and would like to make 2  3-acre polygons

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you have a Parcel Fabric, this could be an option:

Creating new parcels using divide by area

By proportional area

1. Specify the number of parts or parcels to create in the Number of parts text box. Parcels are proportioned into equal areas to subdivide the entire parcel. There is no remainder parcel.

ArcGIS Desktop

ArcGIS Desktop

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

Do you want to do it manually once or automate the process for many different polygons?  I'm guessing the polygons are not symmetrical...

0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

Wow, pretty fast response. No, I don't have so many that I need to automate the process. I can do it manually.

0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

Capture4.JPG

Sol_Wuensch

Sorry, nothing comes to mind immediately, did a little searching though.  I'm curious, what is the purpose of splitting it 50/50 (not that it necessarily relates to answering your question and of course you don't have to explain if you don't want to - simply curious that's all)

Do you think this would work?  Is that parcel data, and do you already use parcel fabric?

About dividing parcels by area in the parcel fabric

Maybe something here?

arcgis 10.0 - How to split a polygon into multiple equal-width polygons in ArcMap 10? - Geographic I...

0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

sorry, I didn't add text to that screen capture reply. Yes, you're correct the polys are not symmetrical; the splits may need to happen for just an unequal  part of the poly. The selected poly in the screen capture is 6.00 acres. I need to manually split it into 2- 3.0 acre polys.

0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

Sol,

Thinking about your symmetrical response made me understand what you mean. besides doing a symmetrical split, could I set the approx part of the original poly to split, like specifying the north end where I want a 2 ac split  out of the 6-ac poly I show in my screen capture?

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch

If doing it for just one polygon, I might use the measure tool to measure 2 acres of the north side, and maybe create feature edit tool and snap to vertices and create vertices where needed - does that make sense?  Then use the edit tool for Splitting a Polygon.

If it were something you had to automate then it could take much longer and more complex math and scripting as Ian suggested - it could be very simple or very complex depending on your situation and scalability needed.

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch

For your question - it doesn't matter what shape the split off piece is? Just the acreage?

shape.png

0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor

Sol,

I've been trying a combination of the measure tool & create edit tool

w/ vertices depicted. Measurre tool snaps to the poly vertices, but does

not seem to offer more control on the size. I guess I don't understand

how you would use that combination to create an exact 2-ac chunk,

without a lot of trial and error.

Ken

0 Kudos