Any suggestions on getting a leg up regarding Dojo?

04-21-2015 01:49 PM
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

Diving into the ESRI javascript api and I see that it uses dojo rather than jquery. Anyone have a online suggestions to ramp up with dojo?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

I wrote a couple of blog posts that list some areas to get started with Dojo.

Be a Dojo developer and more

Getting your Dojo on - odoenet

I think the main places to look are going to be the update Dojo docs.

Dojo Tutorials - Dojo Toolkit

They have really organized stuff much nicer than before.

I think the modules section is important, especially the CDN lesson.

But there is a plethora of good info in all the docs for you get familiar with it.

There is also the sitepen blog.

Hope that helps.

JeffJacobson

Another option would be to use Esri-Leaflet, which does not use Dojo.

Esri Leaflet group on Geonet

MichaelMiller2

Thanks Jeff.

What are the downsides of using ESRI-Leaflet? From first glance, it appears that it may not be as robust as the regular ESRI JavaScript API.

Michael

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Michael Miller​ I have been using Esri Javascript API for about 1.5 years now. I found leaflet about a month ago. I do like leaflet but it is not as robust as Esri API. Esri has more support and a larger community that can help you with API questions. Esri API can do a lot more and has more samples.

That being said I do like leaflet for simpler applications.

JeffJacobson

Esri-Leaflet (an extension of Leaflet) has not been around as long and does not have as many capabilities as the ArcGIS API for JavaScript at the moment. However, Leaflet is a lot more lightweight (i.e., fewer HTTP requests) than ArcGIS API for JS.

Which one you use would depend on what your application needs to do. If you used JavaScript but never used Dojo before, Leaflet will probably be easier to learn.