Story Map tour - Basemap gallery/toggle

04-20-2015 11:29 AM
ShruthiSrinivasan1
New Contributor III

Does the Story map tour template have an option to add a basemap gallery or basemap toggle?

Tags (1)
6 Replies
ShruthiSrinivasan1
New Contributor III

If the map tour template does not have that option, can the customization be done in the user downloadable archive?

Thanks.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Shruthi,

Map Tour doesn't currently support a basemap picker, but you could add one in the downloadable version of the app. I believe the easiest way would be to use the Basemap dijit included in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript (Documentation here).

Before adding an additional widget to the app, however, we'd recommend having a solid justification of the value it will provide to your audience. Adding too many options can sometime confuse more than help. That being said, there are reasons to add additional basemap choices, but we'd recommend limiting the number of basemaps to the two or three most useful ones.

Another thing you could do (without customization and hosting the app yourself) is to put a scale dependent basemap in your web map to switch the basemap automatically for your viewers. For example, you could use the NatGeo basemap at small scales for reference but switch on the imagery basemap at large scales to get more local detail.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
DarrylKlassen1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Shruthi,

Have you found a way to do this?  I am looking to do the same thing?

Thanks

Darryl

0 Kudos
BrandonPrice
Occasional Contributor

Hey Darryl,

Were you able to solve this? I would like to do this with the story map series.

-Brandon

0 Kudos
DarrylKlassen1
Occasional Contributor II

No, I don't think it possible without customization of the code - i.e. we weren't able to figure out how to do it with the default template on AGOL.

0 Kudos
BrandonPrice
Occasional Contributor

No problem. Thanks for getting back to me.

-Brandon

0 Kudos