Esri Developer Network

07-03-2014 01:25 PM
PaigeSpee
Esri Contributor

The Esri Developer Network (EDN) is an annual subscription that lets you develop and test on the ArcGIS platform.  Here's what's included:  ‌http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/edn/what-you-get

1 Reply
AlanStewart
Occasional Contributor

The critical information this page leaves out is how many authorizations does an EDN license allow? I've been and EDN subscriber for more than a few years. From my experience this metric used to unlimited or was a large number. Recently (last year?) this policy was changed and now seems to be a small number. I'm frequently having to search for boxes that I can deauthorize to free up an authorization for another box. I can understand that ESRI is concerned that some subscribers may have been abusing the previous policy. However, managing a limited number of authorizations is made more difficult than necessary when the limit is unknown.

I find the current limit, whatever it is, fairly restrictive, to the extent that at times it impedes doing my job. I have a product I develop and support for Desktop and Server, from 10.0 forward. Typically for each combination of ArcGIS version and ArcGIS platform I need a development box and a unit test box. From time to time I need a special box for solving a problem I can't reproduce on a development box. And all my 'boxes' are VMs, which sometimes are put into an untrusted state if I forget to deauthorize a VM before I expand its virtual hard drive or clone it into a new VM.

0 Kudos