Why do my widgets move?

04-17-2015 10:40 AM
AmandaBishop
Occasional Contributor

Frequently, my widgets will shift position after I have placed them in a specific spot.  Why is this happening and how can I prevent it?

10 Replies
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Online Web Apps or other? I've been working with ArcGIS Online Web Apps and haven't seen this happen (yet). Let us know what the application/environment is and what type of widget (custom or out of the box). Hopefully myself or someone else can help.

AmandaBishop
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Online Web Apps.... the way that the Open Data site comes out of the box.  Here is a link to my site if you want to look at it.

Home | Marion County, Florida GIS

BenGrod

Hi Amanda,

Nice homepage , very clean and intuitive. From the looks of it I would guess this is Portal for ArcGIS versus the Esri hosted ArcGIS Online? Either way, the question still remains, why do the widgets move. Are you seeing widgets on the Marion County homepage move? Testing it on my end, I am seeing the "Featured Content" (Points of Interest, Boundary Data etc.) move upon refresh. Is this your issue or something other?

AmandaBishop
Occasional Contributor

Hello Ben,

Thank you for the compliment

This is a portal for a REST site that we have internally. 

The widgets move/shift around when i leave the design page to view the site.

I have attached a snapshot of my view below... you can compare this to what you saw before.

Capture.JPG

BenGrod

Hi Amanda,

Yeah, I can see your issue, that's unfortunate, the intended layout is not being honored. This doesn't solve your problem but it might help as we are getting closer to the issue. I can replicate the content shift in Chrome (v42) but not in Internet Explorer (v11). Could it be a browser issue? Anyone else have expertise in this area?

AmandaBishop
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Ben.  Fortunately I am now in contact with our ESRI Business Representative for AGOL services.  I think he is going to set up a conference call for me to address any known issues or questions I may have with our new Open Data Portal.    Hopefully I will find a solution.

BAXTERQ_ANDREWS
New Contributor III

I like the LIBRARIES icon!!! Flagship in any community!

AmandaBishop
Occasional Contributor

UPDATE as of 04/30/15 - I have logged a support ticket with ESRI Analysts.  They are still trying to uncover the reason for my widgets moving. At this point they are waiting to find out if it is a site specific bug or a known issue.

0 Kudos