Working with ESRI Leaflet

04-14-2015 02:05 PM
KarenRobine
Occasional Contributor II

I'm wondering if many folks on this forum have worked with ESRI Leaflet?  Experience?  How fast is it compared to using ArcGIS JavaScript API Compact version (ie. download times)? Just wanted to get some ideas before jumping in. I have an app that I'll be converting to a new version, and performance is an issue. So I'm thinking about potentially using Leaflet. Our Spatial query stuff is quite complicated, so do Leaflets have many of the QueryTask concepts? Also, need some pretty advanced Legend stuff theoretically.  Oh, and the main thing is that this app runs on all platforms and devices, so it needs to work well in all environments.

Is there a Forum specifically for ESRI Leaflet? I know the product is still in beta, so just curious if such a thing exists?

Thanks for the info.

Karen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Karen,

Here is a place on GeoNet dedicated to Leaflet

Esri Leaflet

0 Kudos
ChrisSergent
Regular Contributor III

I use Esri Leaflet and the Esri JavaScript API. I mainly use Esri Leaflet for lighter applications. I have found that when using Esri Leaflet for advanced tasks you sometimes have to employ workarounds. I am a member of the Esri Leaflet group as well. Both Esri Leaflet and the Esri JavaScript API work on all devices, but your best bet is to use responsive web design so that all apps work cleanly on all devices. For what it sounds like you are trying to do, I would go with the Esri JavaScript API. A couple of things that you may want to consider that I do if you need help while developing are the following:

1. Create dummy data if your data is not for the public and use that and use that for development so that you can share while developing
  2. Publish your application online if possible using the dummy web service; this allows others to see any errors through browser dev tools
  3. Create a github account. This is good for versioning your application as you develop, maintaining a backup and a way to share your code if someone wants to review it on their local machine
  4. Create your application in pieces. This keeps your code to minimum and if you run into issues, there is less to troubleshoot and makes it easier to find help on geonet
0 Kudos