What happened to "Feature to raster" (gone in 10 from Spatial Analyst Toolbar)

10-12-2010 04:35 PM
PeterGuth
New Contributor
In 9.3 and earlier, there was an option on the Spatial Analyst Toolbar for Convert, Features to Raster. 

It is gone, and the help only refers to using Python or a stand alone script.  I don't want to have to teach that to students; is there no standard Windows form that prompts for the correct input?

This is the second thing that was on that toolbar that is gone, with no help from the help on how to get it; I think this is one of the more poorly thought out or implemented "improvements" in 10.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
What about using the Feature to Raster geoprocessing tool ?

see http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/An_overview_of_the_To_Raster_toolset/0...

Steve Lynch
ESRI
0 Kudos
PeterGuth
New Contributor
What about using the Feature to Raster geoprocessing tool ?

see http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/An_overview_of_the_To_Raster_toolset/0...

Steve Lynch
ESRI

That requires Python or other scripting (unless I am blind when looking at the help), which I would prefer to shield my students from.

9.3 had a dialog window that let you pick the layer name, the field to use, suggested an output size, and let you pick the file name.  Much simpler for newbies (and even experience people who don't do a particular operation very often).
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Not at all.

From the ArcToolbox
Conversion Tools -> To Raster -> Feature to Raster

Steve
0 Kudos
PeterGuth
New Contributor
You're right, that works.

I just cannot find those directions in the help.  This was the second major thing I could not find in the help, knowing the location and terms used in 9.3, and now I'm struggling with a third (how do I get the MIN of several grids in Map Algebra; neither MIN or MINIMUM in the help points to where that function is, and guessing the syntax only leads to error messages).
0 Kudos
ryleemurray
New Contributor
Going to feature to raster tool in arcmap/arc catalogue does nothing for me. when i click on it a blank/grey window pops up, not the dialogue window that everyone talks about where i will be able to choose the layers that i want to convert to raster. what is going on? i've even tried doing it through python but i can't get that to work.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
i click on it a blank/grey window pops up, not the dialogue window that everyone talks about

Check out KB" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/3379... 33792
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
how do I get the MIN of several grids in Map Algebra; neither MIN or MINIMUM in the help points to where that function is, and guessing the syntax only leads to error messages).

Python map algebra requires new, case-sensitive syntax, and the names of the functions are the same as the tool names. I know this all seems very painful now but I think in the long run it is good to have one syntax for raster tools instead of 9.3's five (Raster calc, SOMA, MOMA, command window).

CellStatistics (in_rasters_or_constants, {statistics_type}, {ignore_nodata})

9.3 raster calculator:
min([raster1],[raster2])

10.0 map algebra:
CellStatistics("raster1","raster2","MINIMUM")

or, you can just run the CellStatistics tool dialog.
0 Kudos