ArcGIS Server 10.3 failed to cache

04-10-2015 10:24 AM
ChenLiang
New Contributor II

Hi all,

We installed an ArcGIS Server site on 3 machines as gis servers within one cluster. The map service itself seems working very well and responsively. But when we tried to create the cache by right-clicking the service in ArcCatalog --> service properties --> caching, a very generic error popped up saying "unspecified error".

cache_error1.png

I checked the server log but couldn't figure out any cause. Below are error (SEVERE) messages.

Error executing tool.: ERROR 999999: Error executing function. Failed to execute (Create Map Cache). System/CachingTools.GPServer  20010     GPServerSync.CheckMessages

Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80070057 : The parameter is incorrect. . Test/Facilities.MapServer  100005 0.03462    MapServer.GetTileImageInfo

Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80070057 : The parameter is incorrect. . Test/Facilities.MapServer  100005 0.01498    MapServer.GetTileCacheInfo

After dismissing the error window, I went into the service properties and saw the Adv cache tab is shown but with empty scale values. No folder was created in the cache folder on the server.

cache_error2a.png

cache_error2b.png

Also it takes awfully a long time (like 2 minutes) to get the service properties window to show up. Is that normal?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AndrewBrown
New Contributor III

I would check to make sure all of the ArcGIS Server to Server ports are all open and that your ArcGIS server service account(s) (depending on how you have it setup) all have the correct permssions to the site config folders, as well as the C:\program files\ArcGIS\server directories...

I had a problem recently that showed similar "slowness" on creating the sd.draft files , then failed upon actually publishing.

We determined that it may have been caused by oplocks, with the site config folders were stored on a SAN using SMB.  I took both of my sites to single machine environments to see if I could publish to just one of them and I could.

Then I added the machines back in , after cleaning up some remnant folders and everything worked.

Here is an article I found related to the oplocks

40391 - Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service

0 Kudos
ChenLiang
New Contributor II

Thank you. I will check with my IT about the NAS config and test it with another storage.

My service was published with no issue. The service has only two layers and responds to non-cache map requests very fast. All config-store and directories are on the same NAS. If it was related to the server ports or the storage permission, it would affect the dynamic map generation as well. I just want to clarify that.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

This may not be the issue, but in the first graphic/clip in you original message, ithe Dynamic layer option is checked, not the cache option.  That may be why no scales are showing.  (it may be you just grabbed the clip at the wrong time)​

0 Kudos
ChenLiang
New Contributor II

That is what I saw when the cache creation failed. When the Dynamic layer option is enabled, the Adv Cache tab is not supposed to show. So there is a definitely a problem.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I Remember seeing and reporting that (adv tab showing with dynamic checked) during beta.  I'll have to search around to see if I ever received feedback​ as I can't remember squat some days. It does seem that when I had the same issue I did get it to work eventually.  ....not that that helps you right now.

0 Kudos
ChenLiang
New Contributor II

Good to know you have fixed it before. Gave me some hope

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

JSON,

I looked back at the notes for my tech support issue, and it's a little different, but I'll list what I initially reported (in pre-release) and my final.  I'm not sure that I ever totally resolved it, but I was able to work around MY issue. I haven't been working with caching in 10.3 for the past couple months (other priorities) but will be again next week.  I'll be able to see if I'm still having issues at that point.

My initial tech support comment:

I'm attempting to test out several AGS 10.3 caching items related items, I will like both in this request, however the second my be a separate incident. First issues: arcCatalog crashing.   I created a mosaic dataset, created a service, and setup a cache tile schema.  I started by caching an area (AOI) where I know data exists...many holes in the dataset still.  I cached at the source resolution, and after a few stops/starts due to permissions, I was successful.  Now I want to go back in and view the Advanced tab for caching.  Stopped the service and opened Service Properties, but each time I clock on the Advanced tab/folder, ArcCatalog crashes.

Issue 2: trying to upgrade a bundle cache that was created in a previous version and currently being used in 10.2.2 production.  Copied cache to 10.3 machine.  Started a service, attached the cache.  Looks ok.  Trying to upgrade I get error the index was either too large or too small.  Part of the problem I think was running out of space on C:.  Cleaned up drive, then it didnt seem to have as much issue.  Also deleted Status.gdb.  Took two rebuilds to get it to show what is probably correct now.  thought that would help...it didnt. Ive been following the geonet https://community.esri.com/thread/93090 but no solution there yet.

..and my final entry..

I just tested with 10.3 final (Desktop and Server) and it is still an issue.  I did several more test however, and I think it is ONLY on Image Server extension service/caches.

I sent two "crash" reports in thru the popup.  Let me know if you need additional info.  Now that you know it's the image server services, I wonder if you can reproduce it?

How to reproduce:

1. in arccatalog, open an Admin connection to the ArcGIS Server machine

2. find and Image Server with a cache

3. stop the service

4. right click, select Service Properties

5. on left, click the "Advanced Settings" tab/folder

....crash

Not an issue if service is running.

Bottom line....I need to make sure I don't hit on the Caching advanced settings tab when the service is stopped.  When it is running, it doesn't seem to be an issue.  I was thinking that the Advanced Settings tab should be grayed out, but that is not the case for the map services, so I think it's just a bug with the Image services.

So maybe something in this will trigger an idea for you.  I definately agree that the "advanced" tab is showing up at inappropriate times.  There may have bee more in thie tech support incident that was over the phone and therefore not in my notes.  So, if something more comes to me, I'll try to summarize more.

BTW, on a totally different note, if you haven't discovered it yet, the 10.3 bundles and the 10.2.x bundles are a different format.  So if by chance you have a mix, that may cause issues too.

0 Kudos
JamesMonty1
New Contributor III

Rebecca,

I hate to hijack a post, but I am wondering if you ever heard anything back on the issue of ArcMap/ArcCatalog crashing when you click on the Advanced Settings button. I have been experiencing this the past couple of days, and am wondering if there is an official bug ID for it. I looked through the "What's New" documentation for v10.3.1, but could not find if it was addressed there.

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi James,

I went back to look at my tech support incident, and there was no resolution or NIM/bug.  I looks like when 10.3 final came out the incident was closed (so I could test it) with the standard "this is closed, but if you are still having issues..."  When I sent my last message (shown in my previous post), that did not trigger the re-opening, and obviously I never followed up.  I have not installed on 10.3.1 so I do not know if it is still an issue or no, but since I never heard anything definitive about it, it might still be an issue.

are you just getting it with image services, or all?  If you end up putting in a tech support ticket for this issue, and want to reference my incident/case number, let me know.  It may help if they know it's not just one customer.

0 Kudos