AnsweredAssumed Answered

Novice needs Help Automating an Organized Workspace and Map Document

Question asked by octaffle on Apr 10, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 10, 2015 by blake.terhune

Hi, this is day 3 of my Python experience and what I have so far works but results in a disorganized, cluttered mess in my map document.  I need to clean it up before I go any further and get things any more complicated.  I suspect I will shove a lot of questions into one blog post so I will number them as I go to make responding easy.

I have been reading about the os package and arcpy.mapping and arcpy.env and workspaces and default GDBs and things.

1. So far, I have been writing my code in PyCharm and copy/pasting it into the ArcGIS Python window so I can check that it works.  arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0) does not ask for my input whether I run it in PyCharm or ArcGIS.  Is that something that only works when creating a script tool? 
  2. Can you set the default GDB in python or is that something that HAS to happen when the map is created? 
  3. Does os.makedirs() accept a full file path or does it have to reference the current directory? I would like the user to input the .mxd file and use indexing to remove the .mxd extension to create a folder with the same name as the map document, and again to create a scratch folder.  ... And also I want to create a GDB with the same file path and name (for the default GDB).
  4. When running my scripts, I found that most of my files went into the default GDB but one went into my scratch folder.  Is there a rhyme or reason for determining where the intermediate files go?  I would like the useful files to go into the default GDB and the intermediate files to go into the scratch folder.  After the workspace is established, can I specify where I want created files to go in the workspace by shortening the file path to something like "/MapDocument/MapDocument.gdb/Polygon" or "MapDocument/scratch/Polygon"? where Polygon is the name of an intermediate shapefile?
  5. Is there a way to stop the intermediate files from being added to the Map Document automatically?  As a follow up to number 5, if I turn automatic addition off in the environments, how do I add one to the map? Arcpy.mapping.AddLayer() or something else?
  6. Is there a way to add a group layer to the map without having to create a blank group layer and saving it and referencing it?  That does not seem good for automation.
  7. Similarly, how would I modify arcpy.mapping.MoveLayer() to move a layer into a group layer?

Outcomes