Arc Hydro catchments question

04-07-2015 07:01 AM
Labels (1)
DanielSchatt
New Contributor III

hi all, I'm trying to delineate catchments from an elevation raster clipped to a county.  I'm using the Arc Hydro module to do so.  Specifically, I'm generating flow direction and flow accumulation rasters, then using the basic procedure of defining streams from the flow accumulation raster (Terrain Preprocessing --> Stream Definition), then a stream link raster from that  (Terrain Preprocessing --> Stream Segmentation), and then the catchments (Terrain Preprocessing --> Catchment Grid Delineation).  But the catchments that are generated don't cover all the area in the county (which was in the original flow accumulation raster).  For purposes of my analysis I really would like the entire area to be in one of the catchments.

So is this to be expected?  I would think all of the original flow accumulation cells would be assigned to a catchment.  Thanks for any help...

Dan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Did you fill your DEM raster before generating the flow accumulation/direction rasters, Dan?

0 Kudos
DanielSchatt
New Contributor III

Thanks Sephe, yes I did fill it.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I see you had another question about the Basin tool. Did you try that? Did it work better?

0 Kudos
DanielSchatt
New Contributor III

Unfortunately no, it crashes after a couple of hours when I run the Basins tool.  Not sure why, I put in a call to Tech Support about it.  Here are the error messages...any ideas?

errors.JPG

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Here are some other tips I came across. Some of these are useful even if your not using ArcHydro.

ArcHydro Problem Solvers

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Ugh, that sucks. It looks like your machine is running out of memory. Is it a very large geographic area? Sometimes it helps to split it up into smaller areas. Here are some other tips:

ArcGIS Desktop

DanielSchatt
New Contributor III

Thanks Sephe, that’s what I thought at first but I don’t think memory should be an issue. I have 32 GB RAM and it’s just an average-size county. It is fairly flat so all I can think is maybe it’s trying to assign lots of cells to lots of really really small basins. I’ll post if I find out anything from the tech support.

0 Kudos