Snap Raster

04-06-2015 07:08 AM
MichaelBrown3
New Contributor II

Hello, I am asking for someone to walk me through my first time using "snap raster".

I have 7 rasters that have been clipped to my region of interest. (Which I thought was fine). I then found that the cell sizes where all slightly different which in turn creates a different number of rows and columns. I am looking for my 7 rasters to all have the same cell size, with the same number of rows and columns. Will snap raster help align the rows and columns once the cell sizes are the same? And if so, will the cells be aligned PERFECTLY?

- Michael -

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

specify a snap raster indeed and set the cell size as well...explicit is better than implicit

MichaelBrown3
New Contributor II

Ok, in the brief time since I posted, I have gotten them all 7 to the same cell size as well. All but one raster is now in the same columns and rows. 6 of my rasters have 6203columns / 4118rows. The target raster I used to resample all of the other raster is 6201 / 4117.

Question: Why is there an additional column and row? How do I get rid of it? And is it just appearing to bother me?

Thanks for your time...

- Michael -

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

​OK...by default the union of extents is used.  One of your rasters was obviously a bit bigger or would result in a bigger raster when resamples.  so the 'rule' is

1. set the extent so that of some known extent or use one from one of the inputs
  2. set your snap raster ,... which should be the one used in step one
  3. set your cell size...which should be the one used in step on.

In the future, I suggest creating an AOI shapefile/grid whatever that meets the extent criteria...then I use it (or convert it to a raster) making sure that I have made the final decision on cell size and extent

0 Kudos