Error: Number of selected rasters exceeds the maximum rasters allowed.

10-07-2010 10:46 AM
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Hi, friends,

I have one state-wide image server services which was created successfully and without any problem.

I updated one county of this services with newly acquired higher resolution aerialphoto. With the help from Peter, the updates are fine. But I got one problem: at one scale range, the updated area has no image shown up.  The problem happens only to the updated county. Any area outside of the updated county has no any problem.

The  msg is:

[ISDefClient.LoadServiceIfRequired] -----------------------------------------------
[ISDefClient.LoadServiceIfRequired] Loading image service...
[ISDefClient.LoadServiceIfRequired] Service loaded successfully.
[ServiceCore.ImageService.LoadServiceDefinition] Service Definition Source : G:\imageserver\WV_AerialPhoto.ISDef\ImageService.ISDef
[ImageServiceDB.SeRasterItemStore.SelectRasterItems : 008038] Error: Number of selected rasters exceeds the maximum rasters allowed.
[ImageServiceCore.Mosaic.SetAoi : 004E0A] Error: Session: {205ac2f8-39a9-420d-804b-bd7d6be6004d}: warning : maximum number of rasters selected for the requested AOI
[ImageServiceDB.SeRasterItemStore.SelectRasterItems : 008038] Error: Number of selected rasters exceeds the maximum rasters allowed.
[ImageServiceCore.ImageServiceContext.SetAoi : 007E03] Error: Session: {205ac2f8-39a9-420d-804b-bd7d6be6004d}: Could not merge the rasters
[ImageServiceCore.Mosaic.SetAoi : 004E0A] Error: Session: {205ac2f8-39a9-420d-804b-bd7d6be6004d}: warning : maximum number of rasters selected for the requested AOI
[ISClient.ISDefImageService.LoadServiceIfRequired : 007811] Error: Could not create an image.

Thanks,

Xiannian
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor
MaxNumer of rasters is a property of both an Image Service Definition and a Mosaic Dataset.
When a users pans/zooms, the system needs to mosaic together multiple sources. At large scales this is likely only to be a few images, as the scale increases the number of images can increase quickly. At the smaller scales generally overviews are created or other lower resolution imagery used to remove the requirement to open many files. This parameter stops the system from possibly needing to open thousands of files for a single request. The default value is 20, which is sufficient for most applications.
The value can be increased (look in Service Provider or Mosaic Dataset-Default properties). It is generally advisable not to increase it though. Instead look to create overviews at a larger scale (smaller Base Pixel value). There are some valid reasons to increase the value when working for example with large collections of overlapping thumb nail images.
0 Kudos
KarlFreiburghaus
New Contributor
Peter Becker or other ESRI Support Staff,

I know the original thread for this topic is 6+ months old, but I wanted to add on another issue I am having with this topic.

I too have been getting these max raster errors lately and want to follow Peter's suggestions of not increasing the number of rasters in the aftermath Image Service settings.  We are still working with 9.3 and on my level, have not changed any settings.  With this in mind, I have created the following scenarios which will represent my issue:

I created the same exact Image Service on two different machines.  On the machine that is giving me the max rasters error, ArcGIS is outputting only 39 overview GeoTiffs in the DerivedImages\SO folder; where the machine that is creating the image service correctly, ArcGIS is outputting 419 overview GeoTiffs.

One more scenario; the machine that is not creating the correct number of overview GeoTiffs used to work just fine.  I created a state wide service a year ago for Arizona 2007 NAIP which resulted in 185 overviews; and again recently with the 2010 NAIP, same tiling scheme, same resolution, but this time with only 18 overview GeoTiffs.

My question is where is the settings being changed to create the number of output rasters and how do I change this back to the 'default' or to a number that will not output this error?

Thank you ahead of time,

Karl
0 Kudos