Calculating FSL/FNL/FWL/FEL etc...

Jump to solution
04-02-2015 01:11 PM
SimonFox
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm looking for a precise definition of the terms: FSL From South Line, and the other compass points.

I understand the math in principle, but would love to have a reference to work from to make sure I get it right.

Thanks for any pointers. Google not helpful

Cheers,

Simon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Ok, well then it would be the distance to the boundaries of the polygon it is inside. Only two are needed, either FSL or FNL, and either FEL or FWL, whichever are the closest, essentially making an XY pair. A person could then measure those distances and find the point. Usually you would need to give the reference as well, such as the survey line number. Here is an example using Township/Range sections:

1106 FNL AND 2060 FWL, SEC 22,   T13N,   R9E. In that case, it would be 1106 feet from the north line, and 2060 feet from the west line of Section 22, etc. I believe these kinds of measurements are usually used for oil and gas surveying.

I hope this help!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Simon, I believe these are relative terms, in that they are relative to a particular parcel, most likely a section. Can you give us some context?" Where are you seeing these terms?

0 Kudos
SimonFox
New Contributor II

Hi Sephe,

I have a requirement to display footages to the nearest survey lines. So it's a distance measurement relative to these survey lines.

I have a load of polygons and a user's location inside one of them. I'll need to ask for some clarity I guess, but was just wondering where these terms are defined formally.

Cheers,

Simon

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Ok, well then it would be the distance to the boundaries of the polygon it is inside. Only two are needed, either FSL or FNL, and either FEL or FWL, whichever are the closest, essentially making an XY pair. A person could then measure those distances and find the point. Usually you would need to give the reference as well, such as the survey line number. Here is an example using Township/Range sections:

1106 FNL AND 2060 FWL, SEC 22,   T13N,   R9E. In that case, it would be 1106 feet from the north line, and 2060 feet from the west line of Section 22, etc. I believe these kinds of measurements are usually used for oil and gas surveying.

I hope this help!

SimonFox
New Contributor II

Thanks so much. That makes perfect sense