Refreshing Map Layers - When ArcGIS Feature layer changes

04-02-2015 05:43 AM
BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

Hi.

There are 7 layers published through ArcGIS server as a feature service and there is a Map on AGOL that references those layers.

I am having an issue when i update the feature-class attributes, or add a new feature-class to the arcgis server service.

I can see that the publishing goes well. but

Those changes are not reflected to the AGOL map when i open it. I must remove all 7 layers from the map . and re add those layers again, loosing any changes that i had already made on the AGOL side. (Renaming, Attribute configuration, etc).

How can i force the AGOL map to refresh the layer definitions without removing the layers and adding them again from the map?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
13 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bledar,

Try setting a refresh interval.

0 Kudos
BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jake.

Is this going to refresh both the data and the schema of the layers ? or just only the map ?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

This will refresh the layers within the map.  You will not lose any renaming, attribute changes, etc you made within the web map.

0 Kudos
BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

Ok, so it will refresh the Layer definition from the ArcGIS Server right ?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, what ever changes you made to the service will be reflected in the web map when the layer is refreshed.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This does not work for symbology changes.

0 Kudos
BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

I am experiencing this problem again with Related Tables. ALTHOUGH nothing has changed on the Feature Service.

When i open the map in AGOL only the Feature layers show up on the Content list but not their related tables.

After playing some time with the map the related tables show up correctly, but i haven't found the pattern of actions that make this work yet.

I believe this is a bug and ESRI should check this ASAP.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
BenScott1
Occasional Contributor

I am finding something which is (perhaps) similar.  I have a simple map service with a small number of points symbolised by one of the attributes.  I have the 2 different layers from the map service added to ArcGIS online as feature layers.  I have added them to a web map, which is embedded in a test html page.

When I update the attributes of the underlying data (which changes the symbology), I can see the symbology changes almost immediately when I go to the rest end point of the service and click ArcGIS Javascript to view it in a temporary map. With successive changes, they are visible every time I re-load that map.

My embedded web map, however, the symbology does not change.  For test purposes I have set a fast refresh interval on the layers in my web map, and I can see them refresh (i.e. they flash), but the symbology doesn't change.  It only changes when I clear my browser cache. 

So..  it is something to do with browser caching of the service.  The behaviour around this seems a little flaky - I have seen the symbology change to the new values, and then at any shift of the map canvass it reverts to the old values.  Is there a way to force the arcgis online embedded web map to not be cached by the browser?

Cheers,

Ben

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Bledar,

Would it be possible to share the webmap that you have that is currently experiencing the issue? I would also recommend contacting Esri Support Services so they can work with you to determine the cause of the error that you are seeing.

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos