Unable to add 'My Content' to ArcGIS Online

04-01-2015 04:30 PM
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

I have just uploaded a couple of project datasets to 'My Content' and then tried to add them to a map using ArcGIS Online but am not able to find them when searching for them and therefore not able to add them to the map.

One datasets is a shapefile and the other a file geodatabase.

I have shared them, added them to a group I created but nothing seems to work.

Is there a delay between adding data and then being able to add to a map?

Do I need to do something to the data to enable it to be added to my maps online i.e. create a layer, etc?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dean

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dean,

You could add the features as service to ArcGIS Online, using ArcMap.

Add the Shapefile/feature class to ArcMap. Define appropriate symbology and scale. Save the mxd.

Go to File > Sign in...

Sign in to your ArcGIS Account

File > Share as > Service

Choose "Publish a Service" radio-button. Next

Choose My_Hosted_Services. Give an appropriate Service name. Continue.

Service Editor dialog-box will come up. Choose item description in left-pane. Fill appropriate fields.

Choose Sharing. Share with appropriate group.

Click on Analyze. Make sure you resolve the errors , if any. Ignore the warnings and messages.

Click Preview.

Click Publish.

The data would be published on your ArcGIS Online. Try to open it on ArcGIS Online Map Viewer

Hope it helps!!!

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
DeanHowell1

Thanks Jay, I am sure the approach you suggest will work but it just does not make sense that if I load datasets in native Esri GIS format that it is not accessible, even to myself.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dean,

I guess, You cannot add the geodatabase feature classes on the map, even if you have added it to "My Content". The goal of adding the native GIS data formats is to share the data for download by the shared group.

You can add shapefile (zipped) with upto 1000 records on your Map.

Else, sharing the services would be the optimal option.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
DeanHowell1

I added both a shapefile and file geodatabase to my content but can't even use them on my own map

0 Kudos