dmortenson

Data Driven Pages has a slight bug

Discussion created by dmortenson on Oct 6, 2010
Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 by messo
Hello,
I found a bug in using the Version 10 Data Driven Pages. It is related to the exported map having a different scale that what was set in the .mxd.  I'm afraid I don't have the time to report it as a bug tho, so I'll just make a note here.

I have over 84,000 maps to generate. These are 8.5 x 11 maps of each section that has a water right; and there are two themes: water type and water use.

I broke up the project into about 10 .mxds. They are all the same, but have a range of sections they map. If I had used only one mxd, then it would take forever to open and would be subject to crashing.  Each .mxd has anywhere from 4000-10,000 maps.

The .mxds use the "Center and Maintain Current Scale" option for the map extent, which is set for 1:10,000.

I use a python script to export all the maps, which is awesome.

The problem is:
for one of the mxds for Water Type, maps x-z exported the maps at some other scale. It's a range of an odd number of maps, nearly 1900 of the 10,000, that seemed to have a mind of it's own in determining the scale. The Python script just exports all the maps for the mxd, so there are no changes happening inbetween. I ran it again and got a slightly different range of maps that had a different scale.

I have a similar mxd for the Water Use theme. Same range of sections being mapped. All of them worked fine.

Solution:
I "split" the .mxd again and only ran the odd range of maps. Didn't change anything else, just the selection of data that drives the pages.  They all ran at the correct scale.

And just for the record, it takes about 7 days to export all these maps, using a high performance virtual computer. With the mxds being separate, it also allowed me to export from more than one mxd at the same time.  Nice note about the virtual computer: we were able to increase the CPU for this project, then bring it back down when it was done.

Outcomes