Dissolve not working in Python Script

04-01-2015 05:41 AM
LisaDygert
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I run nightly updates on many datasets and have completed dissolves for a few years and they used to work just fine.  Now, for some reason I cannot get any of the dissolve models to work when triggered from the python script.  The models work when I run them manually through ArcCatalog, but I need them to work through the python script every night as opposed to having to run them manually every morning.

I have added a Repair Geometry tool into the model to take care of any issues there, but I still get the invalid topology error (but I only get this error when it runs through Python).  I have exported the model into a python script and copied and pasted that into the nightly update python script, and that didn't help either.  I have tried many options like creating new models, creating new geodatabases or shapefiles and it still will not work through the python script.

This seems to have started after I tried to run a dissolve on a rather large dataset which took over two week to process in ArcMap and it still hadn't completed when I cancelled the process.  Ever since then, any models including a dissolve command have not work through python.  I have rebooted my computer several times, and it is still a problem.

I am using ArcGIS 10.2.1 (I cannot upgrade easily because I do not have admin rights) on Windows 7.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions of what I can do to get the dissolve to work again, I would greatly appreciate it.  Because I do not have admin rights, I am limited as to what I can try without having to put in a request to our IT department (which can be a long, painful, and frustrating process).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Lisa

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Please post the script. There are often minor errors in exported scripts.

0 Kudos
LisaDygert
Occasional Contributor

I attached the full update script which triggers the ArcCatalog model.  The one that keeps failing is model45.  The other attachment is the exported script from model45.  Neither work from the python script, but the ArcCatalog model (model45) does work correctly when I run it manually through ArcCatalog.

0 Kudos