Annotation with Null Area/Length

03-31-2015 01:54 PM
PerryKesselbaum
New Contributor II

I have a bunch of annotations in my anno layer with Null values in SHAPE.STArea() and SHAPE.STLength() fields. This seems to make them not appear, even when Placed.

They are part of feature linked annotation and these null values all are related to recently created and updated features. I created the features, then ran a couple of arcpy cursor to update their attributes. There are 38 features that the last cursor updated, and these feature all have null Shape fields.

The annotation uses an expression that includes the fields that the cursors updated, so I'm guessing that's somehow part the problem. I just don't know if there's a way to update the annotation layer to correct itself, or if I just have to delete and re-create all the misbehaving features.

Any idea what's going on or how to fix it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PerryKesselbaum
New Contributor II

I didn't do any further testing, but I suspect this is some kind of arcpy issue (either with feature linked annotation, versioned data, or some combination of the two.) I ended up deleting the features, running all cursors on local copies of the data, and then reloading it in the SDE and all my labels were generated properly as expected.