Sharing with editing

Jump to solution
03-29-2015 08:38 PM
JosephJose
New Contributor III

I would like to share my story map with the advertising people who can go and change the text (viz heading, descripion of each story). I am able to share the map through a group but the user cannot see the edit window.

Is sharing possible? Do I need advanced rights for the same?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Glad to hear that

Publisher can't take ownership only Administrator by default but you could create a custom role based on the Publisher template and add a privilege "Reassign ownership of content" that would let you do that. See Organization roles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS and Configure roles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

View solution in original post

7 Replies
larryzhang

It would be neccessary to grant the editing permission to one of those Ad people, at least.

pls check 'Edit item properties' at Item details—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

No this would not works through sharing, to allow another user of your Organization to edit your StoryMaps, you have to transfer the ownership of the StoryMaps (Administrator get a "Change Owner" button of the item page).

If your StoryMaps is a Map Tour, you also have to transfer the ownership of the associated webmap and Feature Service when applicable.

0 Kudos
larryzhang

great, gregory,

In addition to Story Maps /Map Tours, are any others required to transfer the ownership? What are special considerations so that developers have to transfer the ownership (rather than just granting editing permission like the role “Publisher”)?

can you instruct?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Hi,

I am not sure what is your question. What I was trying to say is that if you want multiple users to collaborate on the creation of a StoryMaps, the workflow is that when a user is done, he transfer it to another user. Alternatively Administrator can also take the ownership of any item. So if you make all your user administrator they can collaborate as they want.

Depending on the StoryMaps, one or multiple items will be involved in your Story. For a Map Tour there can be up to three: Web Mapping Application, Web map, Feature Service. For Map Journal, Map Series and Swipe/Spyglass even when those application are using web map you don't need to transfer the ownership of those as the builder are not modifying them like Map Tour.

larryzhang

gregory, you answered my question almost on Story Maps for collaboration.

In addition to the role 'Admin', who can take the onwership of any items anytime, what about the role 'Publisher'? In other word, can the role 'Publisher' take the ownership of some items (if not all) inside Story Maps for editing?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Glad to hear that

Publisher can't take ownership only Administrator by default but you could create a custom role based on the Publisher template and add a privilege "Reassign ownership of content" that would let you do that. See Organization roles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS and Configure roles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

jemyjejy
New Contributor

And creating this custom role and assigning it... Should it require an Administrator?

0 Kudos